Hmmmm....Gibson Faded Studio LP's now have maple tops...

webwarmiller

• Members

I just noticed on Gibson's website that the Studio Fadeds now come with carved maple tops instead of being all mahogany....and the MSRP stays the same so the MAP should stay at $799 as well. I'm probably just late to the party on this.....

Anyway, it looks like you can now get all the important elements of what makes an LP and LP for a very decent price.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx

• Members

That's pretty cool, but I think the sweet spot in terms of whatyouget/price for gibby's is still the standard studio line. Some of those are great and they just seem a cut above the faded line.

I don't know....especially now that the Fadeds have the same exact construction as the standard Studios. You're looking at over a $500 MAP difference in what boils down to grain filler and a smooth finish (yes the pups are different but many prefer the BurstBuckers.....and it's not like they are a cheaper alternative). I bet the change to the maple cap was to streamline operations.....the fadeds and regulars are now most likely coming down the same line up until it's time to put a finish on them.

• Members

I don't know....especially now that the Fadeds have the same exact construction as the standard Studios. You're looking at over a $500 MAP difference in what boils down to grain filler and a smooth finish (yes the pups are different but many prefer the BurstBuckers.....and it's not like they are a cheaper alternative). I bet the change to the maple cap was to streamline operations.....the fadeds and regulars are now most likely coming down the same line up until it's time to put a finish on them.

As long as the wood quality is comparable you are probably right. I haven't played one of these new ones.

• Members

no, i have one of the old models and love it. this one sounds cool too, but i imagine that it is not that different.

I've always like the all mahogany faded studios myself. Anyway, I know a lot of people passed on the older fadeds simply because they didn't consider them a true LP without the maple top. I think once people find out about this there will be a LOT more fadeds sold.

• Members

Gibson does a great job at continually tweaking their lower and mid-level instruments to keep them fresh. Kudos to them for making a maple/mahogany Les Paul that just about anyone can afford. This helps differentiate this model from the LP Specials and Jrs.

• Members

Gibson does a great job at continually tweaking their lower and mid-level instruments to keep them fresh. Kudos to them for making a maple/mahogany Les Paul that just about anyone can afford. This helps differentiate this model from the LP Specials and Jrs.

With so many other options for single cut guitars, they have to stay competitive. I am glad to see it as well though. I really like the faded series especially as you can get them used for great prices. I am in the process of having a bound ebony board with trapezoid inlays installed on my faded cherry V. It came with rosewood and dots. Got it for $285. I am getting the fretboard and custom pickguard done for $300. So for less than a good Epi it will be a bad ass US Gibby V.

• Members

With so many other options for single cut guitars, they have to stay competitive. I am glad to see it as well though. I really like the faded series especially as you can get them used for great prices. I am in the process of having a bound ebony board with trapezoid inlays installed on my faded cherry V. It came with rosewood and dots. Got it for $285. I am getting the fretboard and custom pickguard done for $300. So for less than a good Epi it will be a bad ass US Gibby V.

You've got to post photos when you get it finished. Sounds intriguing!

• Members

You've got to post photos when you get it finished. Sounds intriguing!

Will do. Here is a mock up I made for the entire project. Used the Jackson Custom Shop Builder with the Y2KV model. Made my own pick guard. I am going for a grayish mint green metallic finish. Also relocating the input jack to the inside edge of the bottom wing ... or MAYBE the top wing ala the Jacskon RR1.

New_V_MockUp.jpg

I will post pics of the fretboard when done. Won't have the cash to paint for a while. Who knows, I may stick with the faded finish.

• Members

I just bought a fresh 2011 Faded Studio and if the top is not maple it is the strangest looking mahogany I have ever seen. No pores at all to be seen. So Gibson did one hell of a fill job(not likely) the top wood is a mutant or it is maple. Not that it matters. This is one kick ass guitar!! No pain in my left hand. I win!!!

• Members

As much as Gibson has sucked for producing some of the ugliest short runs latley (reverse V, holy Explorer etc),
They have done a pretty awesome job with the overall quality, sound and pricing of the Faded series.
This is just another added bounus to this line.

• Members

My Studio Faded is a lovely guitar - much the better from having had a year's worth of sweat rubbed into the finish!

And the Burstbucker Pros are great pickups - excellent at high gain but also really defined. Ok, they are very high gain - too much for me perhaps - but they do it very well.

• Members
I just bought a fresh 2011 Faded Studio and if the top is not maple it is the strangest looking mahogany I have ever seen. No pores at all to be seen. So Gibson did one hell of a fill job(not likely) the top wood is a mutant or it is maple. Not that it matters. This is one kick ass guitar!! No pain in my left hand. I win!!!

Check your serial #. If it's made in or after of Dec 2010 it should have the maple top which is sounds like your's does. Just look at the first 5 numbers....1 and 5 indicate the year and the 3 between them are the day of the year....13350 would be Dec 1 of 2010.

• Members

Faded Studios with maple tops were made between 2006 and 2008. They were a GC exclusive. According to Gibson, only 500 were shipped. This was about the same time GC was offering the Vintage Mahogany as an exclusive. That model was so popular that Gibson made it a regular production model--the Studio Faded.

The maple top Fadeds have been listed on Musician's Friend for several months now, but until recently, you couldn't order them. It looks like they're finally out now.

I bought a 2008 Faded Maple Top last July. They came with black plastics originally, which I swapped for cream. The pickups are 490R/498T...I guess the new ones have Burstbuckers?

I freaking love this guitar.

100_1417.jpg

• Members

Faded Studios with maple tops were made between 2006 and 2008. They were a GC exclusive. According to Gibson, only 500 were shipped.

I vaguely remember these now that you mention them. They only came in that cherry burst finish if memory serves me correctly. They were also grain filled, correct? I even think at one point the price got as low as $850 for them although they started a bit closer to the normal Studios in price.

I'm just shocked that the new 2011 fadeds with the maple tops retained the $800 MAP.

EDIT.... apparently it came in this finish as well....

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Faded-Cherry-Guitar-/250786318504?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a640788a8#ht_789wt_1139

• Members

Yes, they were grain filled. They look markedly different than the Vintage Mahogany/Faded Studio guitars.

When the new Fadeds with maple tops showed up on the MF website, they were priced at $1199. I'm surprised at the $800 price myself. This is something Gibson should get compliments for.

• Members

I'm surprised at the $800 price myself. This is something Gibson should get compliments for.

They most definitely should.....there's even a current thread on 'when did Gibson jump the shark'. $800 DAMN good price for a MIA guitar with a set neck and carved maple top.

• Members

These are supposedly gonna be made in "lefties" as well
:thu:

Anyone know when these are suppose to hit the stores?

I'm sure I'll have to order one and "do the lefty dance" but I don't even

think their taking orders for the 2011 faded studios yet
:idk:

Might be quicker for you to learn to play righty.

Archived