I've got a bit of a build goin on.

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

I'm confused. I thought punks were supposed to BREAK stuff, not MAKE stuff! But damn nice work. I'm jealous of all you handy sorts. I can't build {censored} and certainly could NEVER imagine myself building a guitar. I'm feeling less then manly now...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm confused. I thought punks were supposed to BREAK stuff, not MAKE stuff! But damn nice work. I'm jealous of all you handy sorts. I can't build {censored} and certainly could NEVER imagine myself building a guitar. I'm feeling less then manly now...

Hey, I'm painting and screwing things together. Only slightly more advanced than a pinewood derby car. All the hardest work is done. I couldn't carve a body, or fret a neck. The stuff I'm doing is not that hard at all. Soldering is annoying, but doable. I'm jealous of the ones who start a thread with some pics of a wood block and finish with some fancy, bound, set-neck, exotic beauty. That's where the talent is. {censored}'s tough, you gotta have lots of time and tools for that.

Mine is a very elementary project. Don't fret, you're probably more capable than you think. :wave:

I would enjoy smashing a guitar, but it would feel so wrong. It'd have to be a fake Gibson or something.

• Members

Nice neck!

I know, it's such a great neck. Worth the price of admission alone.

I put the tuners on it just now, I didn't know, but they're the sweet, old school Kluson type tuners. They've got a got some weight and a good bit of resistance to them, they feel very high quality. I'm getting more and more psyched every day. It's gonna be sweet.

IMG_20110302_204036.jpg

• Members

Looking great! Im impressed with your quick progress too! Gettin the {censored} done!

That's a great body too, the grain is poyfikt!

Yeah, I bought that soldering iron Tuesday. I couldn't give up that fast. It's about 50,000 times easier doing it form scratch. I even had to run a fresh ground wire, but as you can see from the construction of the bridge, that's easy-peasy.

I also adore the body grain. VERY thin finish so I can still feel it. Delicious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Welp, it's done. Thing is, I seem to have lost my camera. I've searched high and low for it, but just can't find it. I took some phone pics (Motorola Droid) in the sunlight this morning, they're not terrible, but they could be so much better. Also, you may need to tilt the ole' monitor back to see the grain pattern, cuz it's real purty-like.

If I find my camera, I'll probably just do an NGD thread, but until then, tese are the best pics I have.

Also, it plays and sounds fantastic. Good weight, great neck profile, I love it. :thu:

IMG_20110319_113500.jpg

IMG_20110319_113715.jpg

IMG_20110319_113807.jpg

IMG_20110319_113515.jpg

IMG_20110319_113551.jpg

Nice! So how does it play after sitting in a box upstairs here all that time?
:wave:

Wow, somehow I didn't notice this post.

It actually plays really well. WHen I first got everything screwed on, the only sets of strings I had were a light top/heavy bottom hybrid set (9-46), it didn't like those so well. The frets were a little buzzy here and there. So, I took the neck off, loosened the truss that last little bit, and then strung it back up with 11's. NOW it plays, and sounds, really awesome.

However, I may still change the pickups. See, the holes in the little tabs on the Epi humbuckers are a littler bigger than SD sized ones, and the screws really didn't wanna fit through the holes in the bridge plate or neck ring. I don't really have access to a drill or anything, so I was able to jam them through the bridge, but not the neck ring. So, I just used another pickup ring and my Phat Cat instead of the matching Epi 'bucker in the neck. The screws in the bridge are in there so tightly that I cannot raise the pickup any further, which might be a problem since I'd like to get the output up where my LP is so I can gig with it or use it as a back up. I've got a Custom Custom in my Epiphone LP though, and might do a little swappy. Might also steal the SD Jazz that's in that guitar, which will allow me to use the neck pickup ring that you sent and have the pickups match.

• Members

Looks great! I LOVE that neck!

Good job,

D

Thanks you guys, just spent a couple hours playing it. It's really a great player. AzCat hooked me up like a champ with this one.

I think deep down, I like my Les Paul more, but this this is so lovely. Even with the scale difference, it just feels so right. The neck profile in tandem with the use of 11s makes it absolutely killer to play.

Archived