SCHOOL ME ON TELECASTER BRIDGES - (pic inside)

Johansolo

• Members

im about to embark on my second partscaster build (first one being a strat) and im going for a Telecaster this time.

so far all i have is a MIM Fender Maple Neck and tuners, but i was given a FREE bridge today...not sure how it works as i was told it was a string thru...but on closer inspection i think its a toploaded?

P1010938.jpg

P1010939.jpg

P1010937.jpg

am i right on how this is how the string is meant loaded in the pics?

pros and cons of string thru vs Top loaded? since i dont have a body yet, im assuming this will have no affect (ie if its pre drilled for string through, the backing plate just covers it up?)

what about 3 saddle vs six saddle vs ????

• Members

Yup, it's a top loader. If the body is drilled for string thru it will have holes for small ferrules in the back.

I've only had stringthru tele bridges so can't comment about differences between the top loader and string thru. I imagine the stringthru might have more sustain or something but probably a pretty minor difference.

As for 3 saddle vs six, I have a Wilkinson WT3 bridge that has 3 brass saddles that can be angled. Even with the angled saddles I found it pretty inconvenient to get accurate intonation. I eventually went back to the original 6 saddle bridge with Graphtech saddles. I think the WT3 sounded slightly better (probably the brass rather than the number of saddles) but to me accurate intonation was more important.

So for a tele my first choice would be stringthru bridge with 6 brass saddles. Also no edges like in your pics.

• Members

I've both a toploader (1983 elite saddles) and a modern stringthru and I agree with LaXu. I can only speak for my guitars, but any difference in sustain isn't noticeable. The real difference is feel. My toploader is slinkier and easier to play.

• Members

What do u mean by edges?

See the edges on the bridge. That's the classic "ashtray" model that originally had a cover (hence the edges) but people took it off since you can't palm mute with it on. I find my pick sometimes hitting the edge. That's the WT3 by the way.

yamaha_pacifica_1511-07.jpg

• Members

do the edges get in the way of palm muting?

i think ive decided to go for the 3 saddle(brass) string through...but i cant seem to find any without edges?

or is there ones where the saddles are higher than the edges?

ie in this one, the edges dont appear to be as tall as the ones in the pic LaXu posted.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FENDER-VINTAGE-TELE-TELECASTER-3-SADDLE-BRIDGE-ASSEMBLY-/330518607997?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cf471b87d

• Members

do the edges get in the way of palm muting?

i think ive decided to go for the 3 saddle(brass) string through...but i cant seem to find any without edges?

or is there ones where the saddles are higher than the edges?

ie in this one, the edges dont appear to be as tall as the ones in the pic LaXu posted.

For me, the ashtray does not inhibit palm-muting. I prefer the ashtray because it give me a good place to park when chicken pickin'.

The new edgeless Tele bridges look wrong to me.

• Members

For me, the ashtray does not inhibit palm-muting. I prefer the ashtray because it give me a good place to park when chicken pickin'.

The new edgeless Tele bridges look wrong to me.

yeah i kinda agree...RE the modern edgeless look + six saddle.

Archived