Gibson SG Standard Vs. Sg Classic (P-90s) Help!

DaveGrima

• Members

Which one would you buy for your first Gibson? How is the neck profile on the SG Classic? I prefer fatter over thinner necks. Also anyone know the specs on the p-90s Gibson is using these days? Are they really hot? Im going for Tony Iommi's tone from the first few Sabbath Albums. Just curious, thanks. :wave:

• Members

A vote for the Classic...my favorite Gibson model. The P-90's aren't crazy hot. I'd say, based on my own terrible ear and no data to support any postulation, that the Gibbo is between a Lollar and a Duncan in terms of output, a little closer to the Duncan.

• Members

Haven't played (or owned) an SG since 1985, but miss having one. I have serious GAS for the SG Special '60's Tribute, and it's not priced badly. Never had a P-90 guitar, either.

The HB-equipped SG's I had were two of the top 3 guitars I've owned!

• Members

I had an SG Classic and it was terrible, but I may have been unlucky. Personally, I think P90s sound so much better in a Junior than in an SG, but people on here don't seem to agree with me in general. It's like a P90 sound but with added depth, and then having the simple wrap around bridge adds zing and resonance at a level that you don't usually get on a normal SG construction.

• Members

I had an SG Classic and it was terrible, but I may have been unlucky. Personally, I think P90s sound so much better in a Junior than in an SG, but people on here don't seem to agree with me in general. It's like a P90 sound but with added depth, and then having the simple wrap around bridge adds zing and resonance at a level that you don't usually get on a normal SG construction.

Hmmm. . . Maybe that was the key to Iommis God-like tone on those early Sabbath records. . he had an SG special with P-90s but it was modified with a wrap-around bridge so he could get the action higher. Other than that theres not much difference between the LP Jr and an SG.. . Flattop mohagany planks. Does the LPs slightly thicker body make much of a difference? Or is it the extra cut-away?

• Members

Got to try an SG Classic for a few minutes at the last open mic, and my god I had to pry it from my hands when the guy wanted it back. It's totally badass. Thicker neck profile, yeah, very light and yet not neck heavy (was surprised), P-90s sounded great.

Try out both if you can, but I don't think you can go wrong with it.

• Members

Classic! I just got one and love it to bits (the faded version, but I've played the regular ones too). The P-90s are hotter than some passive Duncan humbuckers I have, but through my Plexi reissue they let me NAIL the early Sabbath sound, and when they're clean, they have a beautiful singing chime to them. When I got mine a few weeks ago, my first reaction was: this is a hard rock riff monster. Also, I tried a regular classic through a Tiny Terror at GC, and it was instant Live at Leeds.

The regular Classic has a chunky neck, by the way. (the faded doesn't)

• Members

I have a SG classic and it is my choice even if money was no object. The neck on the classic is thick, but strangely it feels pretty thin and fast. I actually thought it is a thin neck in the spirit of SG specials until I measured it since I wanted to have a neck just like that for my tele build. I also prefer the combination of binding and dots, large inlays are simply too much bling for me. Note that I already got the SG with replaced pickups (Bareknuckle BKP-91s) and exchanged tuners for tulip type grovers.

Archived