A humbucker in a strat doesn't sound like an LP - it sounds better

Faber

• Members
I don't know if I picked the wrong humbucker, but I tried a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge of my Strat and I didn't like it at all, it was a lot thinner and harsher than I was expecting, and I normally like JB's too. I ended up putting the stock single coils back in.

Hmmm that is TOTALLY the opposite experience I have with mine! I have an Olympic White/maple 2005 USA Series Strat all stock except for a new HSS pickguard and full size JB...and I love it! It really does what I wanted it to do - really beef up the Strat. My only gripe with it is that being as hot as it is its a bit of a volume drop when you switch from it to a single coil...like in a band mix its "were did it go?" but I guess that could be sorted if I got the band sound right with the single coils first...then the JB would be just screaming over the top for solos...as you'd want it to.

I also sold last year and really wish I hadn't a USA Series 2007 Olympic White/rosewood Strat but with a Custom Custom in the bridge...and that too was great, though when it came to selling one I was in two minds which one to let go...i went with the JB/maple board Strat but am now having GAS pangs for a guitar just like that which i sold. :(

• Members
Yes, that's conjecture
;)
. A couple of weeks ago I traded my Tokai semi for a AM Standard HSS strat. I've gigged it once, and practiced with it several times with the bands since. This is definitely a sound I can work with: It's thinner than both my LPish Hamer and my humbucker equipped semis and the humbucker still retain a bit of that strat spank. It's a less smooth and in my hands bouncier sound and for what I need in a band context it's far easier to work with and fit in a mix. Thinner and less smooth simply suit me better playing with a band, as much as I might love that creamy, sumptuous sound of a humbucker in a shortscale/mahogany/maple setneck.

Horse POOOOO!!
If ya want an LP sound-ya gotta go with an LP.

• Members

I rarely use my bridge pickups, unless I'm trying to make a point by changing the tone around mid-song. In fact I'll more often play the neck P90 of my SG through a rangemaster then simply play the bridge. Long long time ago I used to play only on the bridge pickup, but then I had crap guitar and crap amp.

Archived