Do You Have More Gear Than You Need/Use?

Mark L

• Members

Much like a music gear horder, I have a problem with old pc parts. Ive been building my own rigs since the 386 days. Around 1986. And I still have motherboards, graphics cards, math co-processors, cpu's, etc. Even hard drives and 5 1/4 floppy drives from then !!!! I just couldnt part with the stuff. I still have MS Dos on floppies !!!

• Members

I can sell couple of interfaces, don't use them, like M-audio Project Mix I/O. All other hardware I have is too good to sell :) Use it on all sessions.

Have some plug-ins that I wouldn't get today and don't use, but who new :((

• Members

I've lost track of how many guitars I have too.
:o
Anyone want two Altec metal voice of the theater horns? I sold a bunch of crap a while back and no one wanted those.
:idk:
Terry D.

I had a friend of mine give me one he found in an attic. It had the driver that worked finr too.

Having only one is like a bycycle with only one wheel. I thought about getting a second and then thought

What will I do with them then. I have good horns in the PA already.

Those A7's were great PA cabs in their time. First time I heard them used in a proper theatre setting was

on broadyway in 1968. Went to see Hair. They had the whole band miced and a good 20 vocalists coming through just two

of those cabs and they sounded great. No breakup with a full ranged sound. I had a set of them maybe 25 years ago but could

never afford the good drivers. I eventually cut them down to half size because they were so hard to move. I eventually wound up giving them away.

• Members

It depends on what I'm doing...

I have 7 or 8 guitars (all different), an old '80 Korg keyboard I use as a midi controller, a small PA, a couple mixing boards, an 8in/8out audio card, a pair of decent Tannoy monitors, and about 15 mics, a couple of vintage fender amps, a piano, 2 electric guitars with synth pickup (used with a Roland guitar synth or Alesis QSR) and some misc. instruments: didgerido, dulcimer, washboard, various shakers, tamborine, chimes.

When recording, I use all of it.

When gigging, I travel as lightly as possible: 400W powered Eon for the FOH, powered Kustom floor wedge for monitor, small LED par light, small mixer + mic/stand + instrument(s).

Though it'd be nice to have a 25' 8x4 snake for those few times I host open mics. No hurry, though, it doesn't happen that often...

• Members

yes.

about 50 vintage mics, i've used some of them as live mics, in theatre both as props and as working mics...

2 electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, a spanish guitar, ukulele, 6-string banjo, banjoline, mandoline, bass, a marshall 2203 and some amps i built, some stompboxes, philips philicorda, some percussion instruments...

• Members

i try to use it all.

keyboard, shake banger things, tin whistles, 2 harmonicas, strat, tele, bass, 335, lp, acoustic.

2 amps, sure58, stomps, lots of daws i have no idea how to use, lol! red shoes and blue suede shoes, hawaiian shirts, tan shorts and a drawer full of white socks.

i make music for me and anyone who will give a listen so no sweat. want a mandolin, tho.

bought and paid for when i had the bucks in the last 5yrs, not worth selling off yet.

• Members

i make music for me and anyone who will give a listen so no sweat.

Me too. :wave:

....and I like to keep things pretty simple. When I'm ready to track I do not want to be distracted by gear decisions.

After all this time, I already know what works and it's sitting right there in front of me.

Archived