Who Owns An Eleven Rack?

jrockbridge

• Members

Our bass player has one for his home studio. I love it (although I don't have much hands on experience w/ it, I HAVE used it). I think it's comparable to the Axe and will be my next purchase when I'm out of debt next year (lol).

• Members

I have a Line 6 POD HD500. I bought the Avid Eleven Rack for the reamping feature and seamless integration with Protools. I figured modeling quality would be comparable between the two. But, the 11R has completely blown me away with the realistic feel, the fantastic sound and the design, including the user interface (front panel controls). Unfortunately, the 11R has pretty much ruined the HD500 for me.

• Members

i haven't used one... but i've heard great things about them... in particular from a pro player i know that owns a music store... it's all he uses in his studio

I'm a hack hobbyist, but I got it for my home studio. I'm excited about being able to lay down a track using headphones while my wife and son are sleeping, for example. Then, the next day, when everyone is awake, I can reamp a dry track to real stomps, real amps mic'd up, a modeler or any combination of the real and virtual world gear.

I've always wanted something that does this, but recording gear this powerful used to cost thousands. I never thought I'd be able to do all this for $611. Protools was included and I have a computer. I feel like I got off cheap for all this thing does.

• Members

I'm posting here so I can remember this for future reference.

When it comes to guitar I'm an analog kind of guy but I sometimes record in my drummer's studio. It's all through the board. No amps. His drums sound fantastic; but you know; he's a drummer. You take whatever off-the-rack guitar sound he has available. I'm never happy with it. I'v been thinking lately that it would be better if I brought my own processor.

600 to $900 doesn't sound too expensive if it's as good as you guys say.

• Members

It does some of the best direct clean sounds I've ever heard from a modeler. If you reamp to a real mic and cab later, it's very hard to tell the difference between model and real amp.

Right out of the box, it's ready to do the classic rock and early metal tones. But, the expansion pack ($99) adds options beyond those tones.

Here's an example of a direct to modeler, classic rock crunch-tone below. The speaker sim on this clip is pretty amazing IMO....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzS04LR6cy8

[YOUTUBE]VzS04LR6cy8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

You pretty much know my stance on all things AVID so I won't get into that here :lol:

I think that the 11R is a great piece of gear if it works for you and does what you want it to. Going beyond my AxeFX bias I think that it's the best thing out there right now if the ProTools integration is a plus.

• Members

I was going nuts buying a bunch of the Sans Amp Character series pedals. My sales-dude at Sweetwater mentioned the 11-rack in a "coulda/shoulda" kind of fashion. Too late, I'd already bought about 5 Sans Amps, but it made sense what he was saying. He seemed to think there were a pretty darn good unit. (We've been acquainted with each other for a number of years now and he's a pro player) I seem to recall he mentioned another unit as well, but it was quite a bit more money..

The whole concept is very tempting because I've lost a lot of footprint space in my house buying various classic reissue or simply interesting amps (one way or another - at least to me) but with these modeling pre-amps getting so much better, it does give one pause not only for the sake of saving space and money, but also for the "all in one" convenience. :thu:

• Members

This 11R takes takes my dirt pedals really well! Each amp model sounds and reacts differently to each crunch box, just like tube amps would in the real world. My fuzz-face clone sounds great with many of the models and that pedal is actually difficult to hit the sweet spot with real amps.

I'm using the 11R through a really nice hifi system with flat response Boston Acoustic tower-speakers. I've read some opinions from folks on the net saying that a hifi setup is not ideal for a modeler, but I couldn't imagine this sounding any better, unless I had all of the actual amps in the room with me. It sounds like I have a bunch of killer amps mic'd up in another room. This thing would slay through a good PA!

Archived