So... Squier 51... Neck pocket...

cratz2

• Members

I know some/most Squiers Strat bodies have a smaller width neck pocket than most MIA/MIJ Fender Strat necks. Is the same true of the Squier 51 Tele neck pocket?

I have a nice Warmoth Tele neck that's looking for a host body (that sounds kinda alien, doesn't it. :lol: ) and a forum member has a 51 body for sale locally. I'm wondering if my neck will fit in that body without having to route the neck pocket a bit.

:idk:

• Members

As far as I know ALL Fender/Squier necks are spec'ed with a 2 3/16th heel. Obviously since we are dealing with wood, there will be some variance simply due to swelling/contraction. I've put Fender necks into Squier bodies and vice versa. Now nut width is a different story....

And more specifically, I just measured the heel on my Squier '51 and it is dead on 2 3/16th's...

• Members

It'll fit fine, but you need shorter screws than Fender.

Rodgie. I'll get some that are maybe 1/4" shorter or should I go 1/2" shorter?

Or I guess I'll get both and sort of wing it by eyeball before committing. :lol:

• Members

So would a Squier affinity or similar Strat neck fit a 51? I've got a 51 but think it would look much cooler with a big 70's headstock .

It should....all are spec'ed at 2 3/16th's. But, like I mentioned, there will always be some variation because they are made out of wood. On occasion you'll run into a body that's a hair narrow and a neck that's a hair wide.....as such they won't go together unless you sand one to fit the other (always easier to sand the neck's heel imo).

• Members

I thought a '51 was a Strat body with a Tele neck, no? At least the one that I had. What's the point in changing a cool guitar with it's own unique combination of components into something else? I don't get it.

• Members

I thought a '51 was a Strat body with a Tele neck, no? At least the one that I had. What's the point in changing a cool guitar with it's own unique combination of components into something else? I don't get it.

Some of the Squier stuff is sized differently even though it's called the same thing more or less. Case in point a lot of the bodies are actually thinner on the lower end models which I think that the 51 considering it's $50-99 price tag near the end may have placed it in there.

Archived