Fingernails

scolfax

• Members

I just clip them off as short as they'll go on the left (fretting) hand (without going into the quick) but then the real aggravation is trying to leave them about 3 mm long on the right side for finger picking. I whine like a little girly when one of those breaks down to the quick because that's my favorite way to play. So when one breaks I feel handicapped for a few days until there's a bit of growth back there again. Sometimes I grab a pick, but I always start with finger picking and then move to a pick if something about the piece is calling for it (like Thunderstruck, Misirlou or chord strumming rhythms).

It's hard to find video of it, but if you ever find a clip of Dolly Parton playing guitar, I can't imagine learning to play that way. She has long nails on both hands like a beauty salon patron, but yet she can still fret and pick like lightning.

• Members

My gf started to learn classical guitar last month, her teacher teaches classical guitar in university. As beginner, a lot of people have nail questions. The teacher showed his fingers. He initially has long large nails , but his fingers have changed through years of playing, the finger tips of fretting hand are flat with short nail beds, while the fingers on his right hand have longer nail beds (with some nails for fingerpicking of course) and looks more "normal". He says if one plays much enough, the change would happen.

Amazing, I never noticed that before but that's true on my hands. Taking my middle finger as an example, the nail bed is about 2 mm shorter on my fretting hand. Freakay!

• Members
Having short fingernails on my fretting hand is very important to the way I play. Not sure it is for everyone, but I assume it is for most. Unfortunately, I can never get my index fingernail short enough.

This week I cut the nail a tiny bit shorter than usual, to get it where I think it needs to be for me to play my best. Of course to do this I cut into the "quick", and it's still a little painful to touch (got some info about nail anatomy
here
). I am hoping that if I keep doing this over time it will hurt less and less and eventually get to the point where it won't hurt anymore and I'll be able to have more fingertip and less nail on the fretboard.

So far I just use clippers, no fancy sandpaper or anything.

Will this approach work? Has anyone else tried this?

Ouch! Seriously?

I've got a long nail-plate (had to wikipedia that one), too, but I just deal with it -- no self-mutilation for me (outside of tattoos :p ).

• Members

Amazing, I never noticed that before but that's true on my hands. Taking my middle finger as an example, the nail bed is about 2 mm shorter on my fretting hand. Freakay!

Oh I just checked my fingers, I never noticed the change as I have born short nail beds with flat overhang fingertips (I used to feel inferior that I don't have "long slim artist hands"), and my left fingers' nail beds are average 1mm short than the right ones now :)

• Members

My gf started to learn classical guitar last month, her teacher teaches classical guitar in university. As beginner, a lot of people have nail questions. The teacher showed his fingers. He initially has long large nails , but his fingers have changed through years of playing, the finger tips of fretting hand are flat with short nail beds, while the fingers on his right hand have longer nail beds (with some nails for fingerpicking of course) and looks more "normal". He says if one plays much enough, the change would happen.

interesting!

my fretting hand has the same length nail beds ( I measured them) but longer finger tips (i measured them too).

Archived