Electric Guitar In Solo Settings

Stackabones

• Members

No bass, no keys, no drums, no band. Just a solo guitarist. Singing is cool, too. My guess is that there will be tons of blues and jazz solo electric guitar vids, but it'd be cool to hear anything else. I've been doing solo sets lately and I'm looking for ideas.

[video=youtube;4T2hygHu8CI]

Just posted this as an example. I've seen others, especially in jazz -- Joe Pass, Tuck Andress, etc.

Also, is anyone else doing this at gigs -- no band, just solo electric guitar?

Please, no acoustic or acoustic/electric stuff. I've got that covered. ;)

GO!

• Members

My "gigs" have been restricted to groups of friends in garages and the monthly meetings of a local music association, but that's what I'm doing.

Acoustic frustrates me, I like electric tones and I have no band.

Basically, the singer/songwriter thing but with my electric.

I think you've heard what I do, so no surprises there.

Got no time for a band or the headaches that go with, so I've just kinda copped a full rhythm approach for my songs that fills things out OK.

EG

• Members

Yeah, I hear ya about the bands, EG. I think you know that I've done tons of solo git/vox a la acoustic gigs (probably well over 500 in the last four or five years), and I still like doing those -- but lately I've been taking my Zeff (through a Roland MicroCube) to my solo sets and getting a charge out of playing it. I even took the looper to the last one to see about adding something new -- other than just looping chords, which is cool but can be a bit hack if done too much.

• Members

As much as I love Ted Leo, the way he does solo work doesn't do much for me; for me, great solo electric work isn't so much about building a rhythm 'bed' to sing over, but more about creating a duet with voice and guitar, as it were. Note the sparsity and careful note selection:

[YOUTUBE]T5Xl0Qry-hA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Wow, poolshark, that's amazing! I think that approach totally works, but I'm not confident that it could be sustained (like in that vid) for an entire set. The guitarist's approach is admirable and damn near perfect, but that rubato looseness would have to have certain featured spots in a set. A little of that, and a little of Ted Leo, and a little of something else inbetween perhaps.

Dig it. I really dig that one. :cool:

• Members

I recall that Bob Mould (ex-Husker Du, Sugar) is a big fan of solo electric--probably because he's got such terrible tinnitus that he can't hear an acoustic. :lol::(

Za_cp5n49Sk

Another example of the "bed-of-rhythm" genre, though. I think most rock guys who do solo electric are going to be in this vein.

• Members

I do a lot of "acoustic"-like one-man stuff with my electric a lot. I just play it like your usual acoustic singer songwriter would. You just have to find a tone that works. A little hard to do all the time, especially as electric guitars are considered to be ensemble instruments.

• Members

Yeah, that's better, Pascal. :) It's something that more jazz guitarists should do anyway, rather than running a bunch of bebop heads.

honeyiscool, I think you've hit on a good point. Most view the electric as an ensemble instrument. I think the thing that's cool about the electric is that you can add more sounds -- overdrive, wah, etc. I know that you can do this in an acoustic/electric setting a la Monte Montgomery, but I've never really dug that approach on acoustic. Love it on electric though.

In my solo sets, I do find that I seek a cleaner tone. Sometimes I like to add a bit of grit and effects.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived