How Many Here Use Google as Their Primary Means of Tech Support?

Anderton

• Members

I find Google useful for support on any mass-marketed items (Windows traoubleshooting, car & appliance parts; etc).

For specialized or technical stuff Google is utterly useless. All you get are sites that want to sell you the data, or sell you the info to find somebody else who'll sell you the data. I find Yahoo generally better for this, though there is a significant amount of trash to dig through with ANY search engine results.

• Members

the best defense against a manipulated internet is to remember that by learning and using just a few of the search tool commands you can drill past the "clutter" and "commercialization".

The single most useful tool is site specific search.

site:harmony-central.com

added to your search will always bring you back here.

You can quote all or part of your search terms for explicit searches and you can remember the rest over here at Google's

I use this addon in Firefox:

http://www.customizegoogle.com/

This allows me to completely block those spammy indexing domains that clutter up search results with useless links.

• Members

Google is pretty nice, but many times for specifics it will lead you to a forum for information where others have asked the same question and sometimes get an answer. So oddly enough, it doesn't hurt to spend some time in the forums to see if you can pick up something useful..depends on the forum though...many of which aren't more then a dive bar for people to hang out in.

• Members

Last time I used google I dialed into google (googled):

microtuning table east west silk spectrasonics omnisphere

and after 3 months I got an email from Spectrasonics and East West Holland telling me that the microtuning is secret, was developed by Bob Moog, and they don't give this table to anyone because it is top secret, you know MI-6, James Bond, Sheriff Lobo, Edgar Hoover, Major General Dai Li, CIA, Halle Berry...

• Members

Help me, O Google, the might of my salvation;
I have no hope, no refuge but in Thee;
Help me to make this perfect consecration,
In life or death Thine evermore to be.

Help me, O Google, my software is only weakness;
Thine, Thine the power by which alone I live;
Help me each day, to bear the cross with meekness,
Till Thou at last the promised crown shalt give.

Archived