so if fender-style guitars usually use 250k pots...

twotimingpete

• Members

...And humbucker type guitars usually use brighter 500k pots...

What exactly do you do when you mix and match?

I'm thinking of sticking a minihumbucker into my tele's neck position. will it be okay with stock 250k pots? how are "mixed" guitars usually wired?

and while I'm in here, anyone tried the GFS minihummers before? I tried a SD mini a long time ago and wasn't sure what to think. it was ok.

Based on the descriptions on GFS, I was toying with the idea of trying a "mini 59". I suppose, though, that if you base things on GFS descriptions every single product will cure cancer and give you a bigger erection.

• Members

A 250k pot will bleed more treble to ground, hence they will sound "darker".

When I mixed and matched humbuckers and single coils, it's always been a humbucker in the bridge position (both w/a strat and tele), so I stayed w/250k pots with the reasoning that the humbucker in the bridge position will be "brighter" anyway.

Since you're doing this with a tele, you can easily change out the pots, so I would recommend getting both values and trying them - it's really the only way to find what you like best.

• Members

so if I use a 500k volume pot, do I need a 500k tone pot as well? and will rolling back on the tone pot (either 250k or 500k) negate the brightness of the 500k volume pot and produce the same sound as if I was usinga dimed 250k volume pot? what about caps? should I be using different caps than the stock ones (which I assume are .047uf-- right?) if I'm using a minihummer in the neck?

• Members

so if I use a 500k volume pot, do I need a 500k tone pot as well? and will rolling back on the tone pot (either 250k or 500k) negate the brightness of the 500k volume pot and produce the same sound as if I was usinga dimed 250k volume pot? what about caps? should I be using different caps than the stock ones (which I assume are .047uf-- right?) if I'm using a minihummer in the neck?

Nope. Like I said above, my Tex Mex Tele Special came from the factory with a neck humbucker, a 500K volume, and a 250K tone. I wired my red Warmoth/AllParts Tele the same way.

Or, if you want to do what Fender does now, you can see if a Fender repair shop can order you two 375K pots. They're part number 007-3133-000.

• Members

I absolutely recommend trying as many values as you can, it depends on your taste, other equipment, and the pickups.

(the value of the volume matters more than the tone pot right? since the volume one has an effect at all settings.

Archived