Does Jazz music have a "limited emotional expressivity" ?

rasputin1963

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

there isn't much new in Marsalis, he has a certain aestethic which is unique to him, but that's about it

Yeah... I agree with you. Except for "but that's about it". The guy's musicality is there, man. No, he doesn't have that intangible explorer spirit of Dizzy. Or the exuberance of Louis, or the cool of Chet or the heart of Miles. But to dismiss with a "but that's about it" is over reaching in your criticism.

Besides, I think it wise of any serious musician to pay respect to those musicians more equipped than us.

• Members

Ha! Now you are doing exactly the kind of elitist historical-only bias that the OP was talking about regarding classical vs jazz....old jazz vs new jazz...venturing into jazz nazi land.....

Shall we discuss nicely renovated Steamboats, and eventually the nice Hot Jazz bands playing on them?

Swiss_Steamboat_Bluemlisalp_lake_Thun.jp

• Members

The guy's musicality is there, man.

Absolutely!

Shall we discuss now his renditions of European music, and how I perceive that as European? Or is that also too elitist for an American?

We can of course also talk about the musicality of country bands from Thailand vs. Nashville or wherever

• Members

For me that era of the great in Jazz trimpetists is long over, unforunately for Jazz, but more or less a fact,

However, for example Pat Metheny is a new star on the Jazz firmament, a novum

Interesting you would mention Metheny in this context - he does play electric guitar with very trumpet-like phrasing and attack.

nat whilk ii

Archived