Does Jazz music have a "limited emotional expressivity" ?

rasputin1963

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure. It was always just a laugh between us. My dad's music, and the music he loved, didn't line up well with atonality, tone rows, etc. Composition by numbers that sounds like nonsense.

I think I know what the prof, and you are getting at. Still, on the face of it, it seems like a preposterous statement.

a professor can only hand to student what happen in the past, the future has to be created by the student,

about the statement: "...told him he was too concerned with how his music sounds." that's a very good tip, because it only counts how the music is heard by the recipients, nobody cares how the composer hears his own music.

• Members

I would hate to write music that sounds bad to me, because I thought it might please the recipients. It's impossible to know for sure how others will perceive. I seriously doubt if Mahler wrote for the recipients. Composer is always the first recipient, anyway.

But yeah, my dad was born 100 years too late. His words.

• Members

I would hate to write music that sounds bad to me

that's not exactly what I meant, but when I get into something I foresee that there would be more musician on stage then paying persons in the audience, then I immediately stop working on that I idea, and postphone it to a later date when I have nothing else to do then making unwordly art

• Members

I didn't say the composer was the end consumer. Rather, that he is the first consumer. The composer has his own ears to listen with, no one else's.

There's a balance, I think. Best not to be myopic. That's the best that I can take from the statement.

Mahler paid a lot of his bills by conducting, btw.

• Members

Mahler paid a lot of his bills by conducting, btw.

Yes, with trouser buttons..

His yearly salary was 26,000 Kronen at Vienna Hofoper. He married a higher daughter who paid his dept, and the couple couldn't afford that his wife travels with him on his conducting tours. 1907 was his career as conducter over,he went to NY, two years later his career was over in NY, because he was an impossible character and he went back home.

• Members

The good thing about university musical education is there is a lot of great things being taught and some great musicianship and musicians can develop there.

The bad thing is that often (not always) these programs breed nazi like academia. They put paramaters and concept around expression, creating labels and thus making it fit nicely into their well researched academic papers. The rhetoric of expression is secondary to the rhetoric of analysis and research. All of which must pass the utmost in peer scrutiny. And by accordance, anything outside of that which does not fit into advanced musical pedagogy, is deemed unvaluable.

It'll make them crane their neck and look at you with pity....as though you don't even know the depth of your own stupidity.

And the sad thing about it is that most university bred jazz programs do the same thing. All intellectual all the time. If someone expresses themselves with something other than the berklee approved b5 subs, they AREN'T PLAYING JAZZ.....

Classical nazi's, jazz nazi's, blues nazi's, metal nazi's, Nazi nazi's.......they all suck.

• Members

nevertheless, all great composers and performers go thru this school,

my teacher was beat on his fingers with a ruler by his father when he played a mistake, he became one of the greatest pianist of his time, that was around 1900.

what is so difficult to go thru whatever school with discipline - learn the stuff which is the base of music - and then revolutionize the music according to your gusto?

• Members

Every university in Texas is some variiant of a momosexual Christian KKK University.

but that University in Texas where Rayburn Wright teaches is great.

I know this because I have their full teached music curriculim at home, and the Berklee curriculim as well, also great stuff every musician should know.

• Members

The good thing about university musical education is there is a lot of great things being taught and some great musicianship and musicians can develop there.

The bad thing is that often (not always) these programs breed nazi like academia. They put paramaters and concept around expression, creating labels and thus making it fit nicely into their well researched academic papers. The rhetoric of expression is secondary to the rhetoric of analysis and research. All of which must pass the utmost in peer scrutiny. And by accordance, anything outside of that which does not fit into advanced musical pedagogy, is deemed unvaluable.

It'll make them crane their neck and look at you with pity....as though you don't even know the depth of your own stupidity.

And the sad thing about it is that most university bred jazz programs do the same thing. All intellectual all the time. If someone expresses themselves with something other than the berklee approved b5 subs, they AREN'T PLAYING JAZZ.....

Classical nazi's, jazz nazi's, blues nazi's, metal nazi's, Nazi nazi's.......they all suck.

Speaking of Berklee: When I was there, I had just spent time in UK getting down with their reggae/rocksteady/ska/black and white stuff. In the 80's, it was white-hot: groups liked The Police and The English Beat owed their whole shtick to reggae. When I attended Berklee I tried to get other players interested in reggae... I'm guessing anyone here knows its influenece has been incalculable. But at Berklee, They thought I was from Mars. They thought reggae was "gay" and waa-a-y beyond them. All they wanted to play was Poison or Led Zeppelin. At Berklee, there were only three social scenes: Contemporary Black gospel-influenced, the crawl-up-your-own-ass Bley/Brecker Progressive jazz set, and the headbanger Poison/Leppard/Zep set. If you weren't into those scenes, may the lord himself help you.

• Members

nevertheless, all great composers and performers go thru this school,

Not true. Many attend Cantorums and Conservatories for the specific focus of their study. Much different than the standardized American University and it's systems.

Many too are self taught; Zappa as one example.

• Members

but that University in Texas where Rayburn Wright teaches is great.

I know this because I have their full teached music curriculim at home, and the Berklee curriculim as well, also great stuff every musician should know.

You mean North Texas State at Denton? My little brother is an Anthropology prof there. yes, I have heard really good things about their Music program.

• Members

Not true. Many attend Cantorums and Conservatories for the specific focus of their study. Much different than the standardized American University and it's systems.

Many too are self taught; Zappa as one example.

Some people can larn all on their own, but also Zappa analyzed possibly more scores of composers then I did.

• Members

oh, I see, well if you where into reggae, then smoking 10 joints everyday is more then enough musical edication,

maybe a coco nut in between also doesn't hurt

Now Angelisssimo, you're being glib! You know as well as I do that the rhythmic characteristics of reggae are fascinating. (-; And I was only smoking one joint a day in those days.

• Members

Speaking of Berklee: When I was there, I had just spent time in UK getting down with their reggae/rocksteady/ska/black and white stuff. In the 80's, it was white-hot: groups liked The Police and The English Beat owed their whole shtick to reggae. When I attended Berklee I tried to get other players interested in reggae... They thought I was from Mars. They thought reggae was "gay" and waa-a-y beyond them. All they wanted to play was Poison or Led Zeppelin. At Berklee, there were only three social scenes: Contemporary Black gospel-influenced, the crawl-up-your-own-ass Bley/Brecker Progressive jazz set, and the headbanger Poison/Leppard/Zep set. If you weren't into
those
scenes, may the lord himself help you.

Nazi's are nazi's wherever you go!:)

Never went there but have played with many alumni. It got it's rep in the 70's and hit stride as a respected 'jazz school' cuz of its crop of 70's students: Brecker, Stern, Scofield, Frizell and others.....But it is much different today.....from what I hear, it currently feels like a cross between a trade school and a university.

Never met anyone that graduated from there that wasn't at least, a really good player. So they must be doing something right. Can't say as much for some other University programs that train kids to be band directors......

• Members

Now Angelisssimo, you're being glib! You know as well as I do that the rhythmic characteristics of reggae are fascinating. (-; And I was only smoking
one
joint a day in those days.

according to my past experience with this cats, one joint is not enough to really dig into that jamaican stuff

• Members

I remember, when I was studying Music in University, we had rather strict-minded teachers. Our purview was strictly "white European male composers before 1900".

Anything American, African-flavored, jazz-flavored or rock-flavored was definitely out, and if any of us chirped up about jazz in class, or admitted to liking rock, the teacher and the whole class would spin around to glare and frown at you, as though you'd just cut a big fart. Even 20th century composers were dismisssed with a roll of the eyes.

Finally, one day I worked up the nerve to ask my Prof: "Just why do we never discuss Jazz ideas or Jazz harmonies or Afro-American musics in this class."

He sort of sniffed, looked pained, and said, "The general feeling is that jazz music simply does not have the emotional range or serious intent as Classical music."

HCSSS'ers, what do you think about this pronouncement? (Note that the class was simply called MUSIC HISTORY. It had no date or country delineations).

This is interesting because just yesterday I was prepping the turkey and put on some jazz from the be-bop era. This was a CD with a bunch of live recordings and I`m listening to it and thinking to myself, "Why are these people clapping after every solo? All I hear is noise." Now, I`ve been listening to jazz since I was a senior in HS. I love Coltranes Love Supreme, Miles Davis Sketches of Spain, the Duke Ellington stuff... etc... but when it comes to be-bop... I just don`t get it and honestly, I don`t hear any emotion there!

This is the thing, to me, music like any art form should express some sort of emotion and I`m sure be-bop does that for a lot of people but for me.... it just doesn`t cut. Its completely possible that your professor(s) just didn`t get it. My wife and kids don`t get any jazz. Thats why I put it on yesterday when no one was home (and to be completely honest, I shut it off after a couple of tunes because it did nothing for me).

I guess what I`m getting at is we all find an emotional bond with certain music genres. For some its the repetitive of dance, for some its the unrestrained energy of be-bop, for others its the rawness of a punk band, for others the grandness of a symphony orchestra or the intimacy of a string quartet. Whatever the case, it all addresses an emotional need for all of us.

So does jazz have a "limited emotional expressivity"? Yes, for some.

• Members

It's horrifying that this person even teaches. This is so obviously wrong I wouldn't even know where to begin, so my reaction is this:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Ken, this was 1982. I don't know hold old you are, Ken... I am now 48. But in 1982, the ENORMOUS computer/internet/information superhiway paradigm shift hadn't happened yet, although there were some whispers that EVERYTHING was going to change very soon. In 1982, for example, we college kids still had to type out research papers on a TYPEWRITER, and adding your source footnotes to each page was an incredible headache. 1n 1982, different regions of the USA could still be VERY.....well, REGIONAL, and could be without any demurrals from any corners.

Thank God that has changed, or is changing. The Westboro Clan, for example is one of those glaringly visible holdouts from the pre-Internet/Computer era. Nowadays, if a person is going to be stupid, it's gonna show, and others will quickly take note of it. But in 1982, a college psychology prof (Psychology!!!) could still tell his class that gays were going to hell, etc. Or, as in this case, Black (and Asian) music doesn't exist, etc. If you were raised in NYC or Los Angeles, you may be boggled at the backwardness of some American hinterlands regions.... stuff you wouldn't even believe.

• Members

Nazi's are nazi's wherever you go!

hahaha

I must assume you talk about this sort of music professors who repeat each semester what they lectured all semesters before, and otherwise lead a happy faimliy life, make some sports because they don't work enough at their job to be tired in the evening, and the best day of each month is the 25th, the day the salary is on the account

• Members

Nazi's are nazi's wherever you go!
:)

Never went there but have played with many alumni. It got it's rep in the 70's and hit stride as a respected 'jazz school' cuz of its crop of 70's students: Brecker, Stern, Scofield, Frizell and others.....But it is much different today.....from what I hear, it currently feels like a cross between a trade school and a university.

Never met anyone that graduated from there that wasn't at least, a really good player. So they must be doing something right. Can't say as much for some other University programs that train kids to be band directors......

You got it, 3shiftgtr.... While I was there, my chops greatly improved. But I could see that learning Bebop was of limited use for the kids I knew of who just wanted to be Milli Vanilli's and Britney Spearses.

The REAL usefulness of Berklee--- and, alas, I didn't avail myself of it at the time--- was to study MP&E, not Performance.

Archived