Recommend me a wah

photon9

• Members

My original crybaby turned into a volume pedal somehow. It's 20 years old and I haven't been very happy with it anyway so it's time for a replacement.

I'd like it to have an adjustable sweep, but that's about all I really know.

That and I've been super inspired by Frank Zappa lately if that helps.

:thu:

• Members

the best wah I've used is the one I have now, the MXR/CAE Wah... I do believe the sweep is adjustable on the inside as well as the input gain level, though I have never adjusted mine. There is a built in clean boost which is nice and then you have the option of a vintage or modern styled inductor...all round great pedal IMO

• Members

What kind are you using?

I'm not currently using a wah, but our band covered a song where it was needed, and our bassist had a cry baby so I used it. My cleans were poopy, and the overall tone got a little muddier.

I have heard good things about the Fulltone Clyde, Morleys have a solid rep as well. Personally, I'd like to try one of the Ernie Ball ones. I like that type of pedal construction better, where your foot moves a little more. Something about the feel of the standard Dunlop is unappealing to me. :idk:

• Members

My advice is to avoid Cry Babies as they tend to be REAL tone suckers. Also, don't get that dano one that looks like a car. It's just sacrilege.

I agree. I made mine true bypass and put it in a bypass on my board. I like it on the rare occasions I use it but that's only because it's what I have, and I don't use it often enough to care that much. I wouldn't use it at all if it wasn't for the mods and bypass.

It does do a great cocked sound if you like that but the sweep isn't very smooth for typical wah usage. I actually like aspect of it but it's not for everybody.

All in all if I were to get another wah i'd look else where too.

• Members

I think you might be after a vintage style wah? I've never played a CAE, and only owned Vox, Crybaby's and a Teese Pic wah. The Teese was the best I've owned to date but I'm working on getting a Wilson wah at the moment. You might look into fixing your wah, even as a back up. The true bypass mod, buffer bypass mod, dropping in a new 200k or 100k pot and maybe a whipple or feasel inductor into it might bring it back to life. Here's some info and links:

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/axiswah.php

http://whippleworld.com/2008/08/28/when-you-install-your-whipple-your-wah-will-sound-better/

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Wah-Wah+and+Swell+Pedal+Parts%2C+Wah+Inductors

Believe me, If I can mod a wah, anybody can...I just can't figure out germanium fuzzes :(

• Members

I love the Vox V848 Clyde McKoy. It's true bypass, warm and sounds just like the benchmark Shaft wah or something you'd hear on a Curtis Mayfield track. No mods required, it sounds perfect for me and needs nothing.

The Buddha is similar, but has a short throw to it, so you don't rock your foot as much.

• Members

It does do a great cocked sound if you like that but the sweep isn't very smooth for typical wah usage. I actually like aspect of it but it's not for everybody.

That's exactly how I feel about the crybaby.

• Members

I think you might be after a vintage style wah? I've never played a CAE, and only owned Vox, Crybaby's and a Teese Pic wah. The Teese was the best I've owned to date but I'm working on getting a Wilson wah at the moment. You might look into fixing your wah, even as a back up. The true bypass mod, buffer bypass mod, dropping in a new 200k or 100k pot and maybe a whipple or feasel inductor into it might bring it back to life. Here's some info and links:

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/axiswah.php

http://whippleworld.com/2008/08/28/when-you-install-your-whipple-your-wah-will-sound-better/

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Wah-Wah+and+Swell+Pedal+Parts%2C+Wah+Inductors

Believe me, If I can mod a wah, anybody can...I just can't figure out germanium fuzzes
:(

great sites so far. Thanks.

• Members

Sounds like a modded Vox, maybe? If you like a little project, the 847 is easy to mod, otherwise the BBE description sounds good.

I believe that BBE was going for the classic Vox wah tone, maybe improving upon it? I'm not sure. I tried many wahs out, and I stuck with the BBE.

• Members

Sounds like a modded Vox, maybe? If you like a little project, the 847 is easy to mod, otherwise the BBE description sounds good.

I'm not even sure how I would want to mod it. I haven't really even used a wah in a couple of years, but I'd like to start playing around with it a bit more. Even though I don't know what I really want, I do know that the crybaby isn't cutting it right now. At some point I think it would be a fun project, but right now I think I just want a decent wah.

• Members

Well, the Vox doesn't degrade the signal as much as the Dunlop, but I found it only good for funky cleans. With distortion, it got lost pretty quickly. I did a few mods, like gain, bass, Q and mids I think, played with the values a bit and adjusted the sweep with the mechanical wheel and I'm pretty happy now. It sounds fat and big and adds a bit of boost when engaged. I planned on adding pots and a LED (3PDT switches are hard to find here) to it but I forgot about it, thanks for "reminding me"!

The true-bypass mod is not that hard if you just follow instructions, but the resistor swapping is really easy. I had a Morley that I liked, but it was so hi-fi that it lacked "feeling" or something. The Vox is organic and gritty. But hey, if the BBE sounds good out of the box... :thu:

Archived