Microphonic humbucker... can anything be done?

• Members

You can use candle wax in a small saucepan on a stove. I'd avoid the scented kind.

Basically you dunk the coils in that stuff. Then clean off the excess.

BTW it WILL alter the sound of the pickup. Takes away some of the brightness.

If you don't believe this ask yourself how it can reduce feedback if it isn't changing something in the pickup's sound.

• Members

You can use candle wax in a small saucepan on a stove. I'd avoid the scented kind.

If you don't believe this ask yourself how it can reduce feedback if it isn't changing something in the pickup's sound.

I could deal with a little less brightness, that guitar is a little brighter than my LP anyhow, and I want them as similar as possible as they are my #1 and #2. Slightly darker would actually be a pleasant side effect.

Is it really that easy though? Sounds too easy.

• Members

Okay wrong.

You need Paraffin Wax, walmart carries it for 2,50 a pound you will need 2 pounds unless you want to hold just the bobbins in the wax then 1 pound and a small sauce pan will work. You should also use a bit of bees wax as it helps the wax flow through the coil. If you dip it until the air bubbles stop coming out you will not affect the tone, usually 3-5 minutes with the wax between 130 and 150 degrees. This is just below low on your stove. To hot and you will melt the bobbins to low and you will end up with just a wax film. It is super simple if you need a step by step you can email me at mhdpickups@gmail.com.

Heavy potting will alter the tone somewhat but lite potting like I described DOES NOT.

• Members

Okay wrong.

You need Paraffin Wax, walmart carries it for 2,50 a pound you will need 2 pounds unless you want to hold just the bobbins in the wax then 1 pound and a small sauce pan will work. You should also use a bit of bees wax as it helps the wax flow through the coil. If you dip it until the air bubbles stop coming out you will not affect the tone, usually 3-5 minutes with the wax between 130 and 150 degrees. This is just below low on your stove. To hot and you will melt the bobbins to low and you will end up with just a wax film. It is super simple if you need a step by step you can email me at

Heavy potting will alter the tone somewhat but lite potting like I described DOES NOT.

Ah yes, paraffin, my grandma used that for canning. Word. Thanks much, got me a little project now!

• Members

Last time this thread went up, there was a massive flame fest because apparently people disagree on how to pot pickups.

{censored}. Well, here we go again. As of right now, I'm planning on doing it Captain Coolaid's way.

Anyone care to explain why this will ruin the pickup and probably my entire life?

• Members

I have been doing it for years as I am a winder. I try and tell people the difference in potting lite or heavy and they just do not want to listen. I do not pot anything below 9k as I just like the airyness of the pickup. When people talk about they sound different with the covers off it is usually do to the removal of wax in a heavily potted pickups. You do not have yo drown your pups just get the air bubbles to stop and you are done. This has little to no effect on the coil structure. I do this all day long yet those who do not want to chime in with there .02 cents and try and flame it. I have run test after test after test of lite heavy and non potted pups. There are some that will tell you 165 degrees this is way to hot for me as it changes the shape of the coil if left in to long. 135 seems to me to be perfect as it lightly saturates the coil. There are some companies that vacuum pot there pickups this changes the overall tone of a pickup some times better some times worse.

Here is an in depth read on it from another forum. I know this guy and we disagree on a few things but the basics are there.

http://www.marshallforum.com/tone-zone/19374-wax-potting-pickups-primer-photos.html

When you are ready to do it let me know I am sending you my number give m,e a call any time.

• Members

I have been doing it for years as I am a winder. I try and tell people the difference in potting lite or heavy and they just do not want to listen. I do not pot anything below 9k as I just like the airyness of the pickup. When people talk about they sound different with the covers off it is usually do to the removal of wax in a heavily potted pickups. You do not have yo drown your pups just get the air bubbles to stop and you are done. This has little to no effect on the coil structure. I do this all day long yet those who do not want to chime in with there .02 cents and try and flame it. I have run test after test after test of lite heavy and non potted pups. There are some that will tell you 165 degrees this is way to hot for me as it changes the shape of the coil if left in to long. 135 seems to me to be perfect as it lightly saturates the coil. There are some companies that vacuum pot there pickups this changes the overall tone of a pickup some times better some times worse.

Here is an in depth read on it from another forum. I know this guy and we disagree on a few things but the basics are there.

When you are ready to do it let me know I am sending you my number give m,e a call any time.

Hell yeah man, you don't have to do all that. I just appreciate the advice. I am REALLY not worried about some crazy, mythological, barely noticeable tone change. In fact I may go a little heavier if it will help with the squealing and perhaps even make the pup slightly darker.

2lbs paraffin, a bit of bee's wax if I can find it, and that's it, right? I can handle that. I have a gas stove too, so the slight heat will be easily attained.

Couple standard questions:

The face of the pickup that you see when it's installed should be facing up when submerged, right?

What should I use to do it? Just my hands, would this bee too hot? A string? Some kind of home-made-from-a-coat-hanger device?

Finally, should I remove the adhesive ribbon from the coils prior?

Again, thanks for your help!

• Members

Potting pickups is not expensive to do. A local repair shop should be able to do it for you. I don't recommend using a sauce pan. The wax is flammable. IMHO, it's better not to risk a fire for something so small. I use a small dedicated crock pot. If I have paraffin around I use it. But I have been known to use a combination of old unscented candles and beeswax.

• Members
Yeah, beware future responses....

Agreed. I look at it from the perspective that there are often many ways to accomplish the same goal. Since we are all individuals, our methods will vary depending on the resources available to us, our experiences, and our knowledge. The methods are well documented by the different manufacturers and techs. So they obviously work. There is no need for something like this to erupt into a flame fest.

• Members

Hmmm.... had no idea that paraffin was flammable. Seems counterintuitive, but whatever.

Ok, after reading that link, I think I can handle this. The girlfriend's parents have an electronic range, a pretty new one with varied levels, and a double boiler. {censored}, I think they might even have an old crock pot, or I might even go to a local thrift store and pick one up for probably 5 bucks.

Thanks for all the advice!

Especailly Captain Coolaid, Punk Kitty, and Mikesr1963 for that link!

PUNK KITTY actually offered to do it for me, which is SUPER cool, but I've been really wanting to do stuff on my own and wanna learn this. THANKS MAN!!!!!!! :wave:

• Members

FWIW, I'm a woman.

Use rubber bands around the pickup to keep the adhesive tape in place. Cut them off after you remove the pickup from the wax bath. Make sure that you clean up the wax with paper towels while it is still warm. It's a real PITA to clean up after it cools. This includes the wax on top of the bobbins.

Captcoolaid, thanks for the baby wipe tip. I usually just use paper towels.

• Members

FWIW, I'm a woman.

Use rubber bands around the pickup to keep the adhesive tape in place. Cut them off after you remove the pickup from the wax bath. Make sure that you clean up the wax with paper towels while it is still warm. It's a real PITA to clean up after it cools. This includes the wax on top of the bobbins.

Captcoolaid, thanks for the baby wipe tip. I usually just use paper towels.

Ah, my apologies, Ms. Punk Kitty, THANKS WOMAN!!!! :wave:

I'll do the rubber bands for sure.

You're both Grade A in my book. :thu:

• Members

Another tip... If you don't have a double boiler, you can improvise by putting the wax in a empty beer can. Just cut the top off and be careful with the sharp edges. a beer can is just about the right size to hold a single pickup.

• Members

Great info here. Thanks all. I have a set of vintage HBs I need to pot but can't find anyone local to do it so I was going to do it myself.

So, assuming I have the temperature right and use the right wax mixture is there really any danger of doing damage.

I know lollar's shop does it for 10 or 15 a pup plus shipping. Not a bad deal, and about the same price of getting a cheap hot plate, wax, thermometer and building a double boiler if you don't have that stuff all ready.

• Members

I think the small crock pot ran about $10 at Target or wallyworld.

The only thing I'm worried about there is not having good control over temperature. They usaully have a a high and low setting and it would suck if the low was too low and the high was too high. Have you check out the temps on yours?

Archived