Crappy music stores

scolfax

• Members

I usually buy my strings in packs of 10 from MF, but this weekend had to go go the local pit. It's like a cave in there. Mostly cheap stuff on the floor, and the medium-level stuff on the walls with a sign about not touching them.

I looked at the strings on the wall display behind the counter. No D'Addario's, ug. It's not that they're out, they don't carry them.

So I settle for Ernie Balls (no offense, just wanted to use the same brand/size that I'm used to on that guitar)....and then to top it all off.... $10 for a pack.

Oh yeah, that's why I never come down here.

How do places like this stay in business?

• Members

In general, most of the mom & pop music stores I've been to seem to focus their business on rank beginners, offering a selection of low-end merchandise and accessories. I think they end up making their nut on music lessons more than on sales...

• Members

In general, most of the mom & pop music stores I've been to seem to focus their business on rank beginners, offering a selection of low-end merchandise and accessories. I think they end up making their nut on music lessons more than on sales...

That has to be it.

I own a small music store and before we started selling online (which I don't anymore) we always charged a little more than the bigger stores for accessories since it was about you needing it now and saving a gallon or two of gas. Theses days a small retail music store is a losing proposition...we still have some small retail going on but I count on the lessons to keep the doors open. It's too hard between the online retailers and the massive amount of Guitar Centers, Best Buys and Sam Ash stores that we have here in Southern California.

• Members

I own a small music store (Kinda small 400 guitars, 250 amps ) and I sell Earnie Ball's for $7 a pack. $10 is outrageous for a pack of $3.80 wholesale strings. I have to say 99% of mom and pop stores anymore are complete garbage. Guitar Center/Sam Ash to me aren't any better but they do have the inventory but they are in debt to their eyeballs. GC is 2+ billion in debt.. I still don't know how GC gets good string and instrument deals when they aren't paying invoices for 12-18 months.

Allen

Archived