I know LI is outrageous, but $129 for a fret level and polish?

BIGD

• Members

Where do other NY metro area guys get their guitars worked on? I'd love to use the local guy but this is ridiculous. It's a friggn strat neck, I can buy 2 new ones for that much.

I also have the Dan Erlwhine (sp) repair book in the mail as I plan on learning fret work on a beater guitar this summer.

• Members

Seems a bit high but I don't think you can buy a good strat neck for that. Maybe you can get him to cut you a good nut for it too, maybe for just a bit more?

doing your own work is cool but yeah, sounds like a good idea practicing on something else before going to it with your number 1.

• Members

It's totally worth learning how to do it yourself.

I understand if that's not possible. But I highly recommend it if you can.

$129 seems a little high.... but if they do a great job.. i don't think it'll break ya.

Look up the Thomas-Ginex do it yourself fret leveling kit. I've used it many times and I've been 100% satisfied with the results.

http://www.fretrefinishing.com/

You can get the kit on Ebay for $25 - $30.

• Members

It's totally worth learning how to do it yourself.

I understand if that's not possible. But I highly recommend it if you can.

$129 seems a little high.... but if they do a great job.. i don't think it'll break ya.

Look up the Thomas-Ginex do it yourself fret leveling kit. I've used it many times and I've been 100% satisfied with the results.

You can get the kit on Ebay for $25 - $30.

This looks really interesting thanks! I'm hard on frets in general some from the way I play and some from the amount I guess. If it is easy to do and a kit is on ~$25 it would seem to be worth it rather than waiting until a refret is needed. Does the kit include everything needed or are there other things required in addition to do a level and polish? I have typical household tools but not an area that I could spend hours polishing and sanding easily

• Members

This looks really interesting thanks! I'm hard on frets in general some from the way I play and some from the amount I guess. If it is easy to do and a kit is on ~$25 it would seem to be worth it rather than waiting until a refret is needed. Does the kit include everything needed or are there other things required in addition to do a level and polish? I have typical household tools but not an area that I could spend hours polishing and sanding easily

Well....... you'll need something to cover up your fretboard leaving only the frets exposed. Preferably that blue painter's tape.

Also.... I have found that after the polishing process .... further polishing is sometimes necessary with something a little finer than what the kit comes with.

I've gotten really good results with Gorgomyte:

http://www.gorgomyte.com/

• Members

I did some research during lunch and I'm a little less convinced after reading this

http://www.tdpri.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=213

Granted it is from someone who appears to be a luthier so there is a bit of vested interest against this but a lot of the other talk didn't seem to be saying it couldn't possibly work and that guy seems to give a lot of good free advice so....:idk:

• Members

Well....... the luthier has some valid points possibly. All I know is, I was having problems ....... not being able to set my action low enough without excessive fret buzz and fretting out ....... and the Thomas Ginex kit TOTALLY did the trick for me.

• Members

I bill out at about $100-$125 per hour at my job, so I can see it taking an hour of time to do right. You aren't always just paying for the job, you are sometimes paying for the EXPERTISE.

You don't pay the mechanic to tighten the bolt. You pay him because he knows which one to tighten.

• Members

Where do other NY metro area guys get their guitars worked on? I'd love to use the local guy but this is ridiculous. It's a friggn strat neck, I can buy 2 new ones for that much.

Sounds fair for someone who knows what they're doing. Yes, you can buy two 2 new ones but neither will be leveled.:)

• Members

My guy gets $140 for what he calls a "level 2 setup", which includes any necessary fret work. I always assumed his prices were high because he's the only game in town, even though this is a small town. After seeing some other prices from around the country, maybe it makes sense. He does do really good work, and his scratch built stuff has been featured in PG.

• Members

I did some research during lunch and I'm a little less convinced after reading this

http://www.tdpri.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=213

Granted it is from someone who appears to be a luthier so there is a bit of vested interest against this but a lot of the other talk didn't seem to be saying it couldn't possibly work and that guy seems to give a lot of good free advice so....
:idk:

That's Rob DiStefano who wrote that review. He's a regular contributor to TDPRI, and his integrity is beyond question. He's an enormously skilled luthier/guitar tech in Northern NJ, and you won't find a nicer and more honest guy. I'd pay attention to what he wrote.

• Members

That's Rob DiStefano who wrote that review. He's a regular contributor to TDPRI, and his integrity is beyond question. He's an enormously skilled luthier/guitar tech in Northern NJ, and you won't find a nicer and more honest guy. I'd pay attention to what he wrote.

It seemed that he was being pretty honest and he did get one totest it rather than an opinion sight unseen. Now I think what a luthier thinks is ok and what someone without the experience thinks is ok is not necessarily the same but I would want a good job since I buy guitars to play/keep them and I don't want to wreck one

Here is SF, $129 is cheap. The best people charge $250. I agree that buying the tools and learning is a great experience and will save a lot of money.

I got a refret with Stainless on my strat in the bay area for a tad over $300 last year...a level and dressing for $250 sounds like a lot to me

• Members

I got a refret with Stainless on my strat in the bay area for a tad over $300 last year...a level and dressing for $250 sounds like a lot to me

Who do you go to, nuke? I was thinking of Brawer and SF Guitarworks

• Members

I dont see that this is that high. Assuming he spent two hours on it and did a decent job its only $65 an hours. Luthiers have to eat and pay rent too.

It's just a fret level! If it takes him 2 hours to level, crown and polish a a board he is either a terrible tech or takes lots of smoke breaks.

• Members

Who do you go to, nuke? I was thinking of Brawer and SF Guitarworks

South Bay - Keith Holland Guitars. I might ping them for the cost of fret level/dressing just to see. Might be higher in the city. When I got my refret I checked out several guys. There are a couple in the south bay that were a tad cheaper for standard frets but I wanted SS and only Keith charged a bit more for SS, other guys were charging +$100 or telling me I'd be better off getting a Warmoth neck...but I like mine which is why I got it refretted. I've had Keith do a few things for me that were beyond my ability and I've always been happy with the work. I'll eventually have him refret the other 2 guitars in SS but if the level is a lot cheaper and buys me a few years it might be worth doing (yes I know it not that hard but I don't want to mess up either of my other electrics and I don't have the space or the time to spend on it). That's why I was interested in the kit that dcooper put up.

• Members

South Bay - Keith Holland Guitars. I might ping them for the cost of fret level/dressing just to see. Might be higher in the city. When I got my refret I checked out several guys. There are a couple in the south bay that were a tad cheaper for standard frets but I wanted SS and only Keith charged a bit more for SS, other guys were charging +$100 or telling me I'd be better off getting a Warmoth neck...but I like mine which is why I got it refretted. I've had Keith do a few things for me that were beyond my ability and I've always been happy with the work. I'll eventually have him refret the other 2 guitars in SS but if the level is a lot cheaper and buys me a few years it might be worth doing (yes I know it not that hard but I don't want to mess up either of my other electrics and I don't have the space or the time to spend on it). That's why I was interested in the kit that dcooper put up.

Thanks for the referral! I'll try them next time. They are close to where I work.

Archived