New amp smells like burning plastic, should I be worried?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

Went to GC and got a new Egnater Tweaker out of the box. Turned it on for a few minutes to play and it started to smell a little like burning plastic so I turned it off. Should I be worried? No weird noises, no smoke, just smells weird. I am using a power cord from another older Egnater Tweaker (which worked with no smell) but it looks fine to me. It's set to 16ohm speaker in the back and I think 117v on the selector.

• Members

check no wires/cable are touching the valves

ps. valves take a minute or two to warm up, so if u are only smelling the burning after a few minutes, it might point to being valve related (as in some glue, rubber, cable, etc on the valves, perhaps burning when tthings heat up

pps. check no valves are glowing significantly brighter than others

• Members

Don't see any loose wires touching the tubes, the smell is still there after a few min. It smells almost like when I accidentally burnt wires with my soldering iron. The tubes all have casings over them so I can't see the whole tube but from what I can tell the tubes are around the same brightness.

• Members

My Tweaker was fine for a week or so, then it began to get distorted after 20 mins or so of playing, then lost all volume and was totally distorted. Took me three weeks of emails and phone calls to finally get an RA for repair and off to Atlanta service center it went. Called today about it today as it's been there two weeks and they haven't gotten to it yet.

Great sounding little amp, but no more Egnater products for me in the future.

• Members

Alright so I kinda looked in with a flashlight, the power tubes look like black Ruby 6v6GTs, didn't see any casings around the tubes

The smell might be coming from the transformer side of the amp. I'll leave it on for an hour tomorrow and see what happens

• Members

It's probably just that new tube amp smell, but if you're worried you shouldn't just turn it off, you should play it as much as possible in case there IS a fault.

Obviously don't let it burn your house down or anything, but you paid good money for it so you need to test it properly sooner rather than later.

FWIW, the last three new tube amps I bought all had a pretty powerful smell for a few days, I kinda like it!

Archived