New Old Guitar Day - Burny FLG-90

tweak'd

• Members

Won this oldie but goodie on eBay a week ago and took some time to take pics this morning. 1980 model, only available for a couple of years ('80-'81), Nitro finished. It's been modified quite a bit and has got some wear and tear...it is 31 years old. Some of the mods are not so well done. I think (and have had a ton of help on another forum trying to figure it out) that the headstock was originally plain except for the Burny logo and someone may have added a "Les Paul" decal there and it was later removed. The serial number indicates it may have been an early '80s model, which would not have had the "Super Grade" logo on the headstock. Or it may have had that logo and they tried to get rid of it. Either way, it looks pretty bad. The white line down the left in the headstock pic is glare.

Pickups and electronics are not stock. Appears to be '57 Classics PAF in it now. Sounds very good (had to do a temp replacement of the non-functioning bridge tone pot). I think I'm going to drop in a Jimmy Page setup, since these are 4-wires.

Been refretted at some point and that was well done, though they didn't try to save the binding nibs when it was done.

Tuners are not stock, now with Gibsons installed.

Came with an almost new TKL hardshell case.

Lots of changes but overall a nice playing and sounding guitar, that I think has a pretty sweet looking top, even with the dings and dents. And from what I've been told, I got a pretty good deal on it as well.

Here she is:

PICT0153.JPG

PICT0163.JPG

PICT0140.JPG

PICT0152.JPG

PICT0174.JPG

PICT0182.JPG

PICT0155.JPG

Anyone looking for a great LP, don't overlook these older MIJ's. Burny, Bacchus, Tokai, Greco, Orville, etc....

• Members

Back of guitar, without the control cavity cover. One piece of mahogany.

PICT0150.JPG

A few more pics:

PICT0161.JPG

PICT0166.JPG

PICT0160.JPG

Neck profile is somewhere between a '50s and '60s...closer to a '60s.

I'll take care of the headstock. Won't be that hard to get it close to invisible with a little work. Don't want to put a Gibson logo on it, cause I don't want it to be a Gibson....or confused with one.

• Members

Thanks everyone...it wasn't a total thrill straight out of the box. But once I solved the tone pot issue (the bridge originally sounded like you had the tone control rolled completely back), installed new strings and tweaked the action, it became very good indeed. This is the first old guitar I've bought over the interwebz and I was somewhat concerned about what I would get. The guys over at MLP forum were a HUGE help in that. These seem to be somewhat rare and based on what I learned there, I got a pretty good deal on it.

A little polishing compound and some good old fashioned elbow grease will clean up that headstock. Nice find!

Gonna try that tomorrow. Maybe some super fine micro mesh on it as well. The pic of the headstock makes it look worse than it does in person. The nitro finish is really checking nicely on the headstock and I don't want to mess that up. I might even do some finish checking of my own on the whole guitar, to take it to another level cosmetically. Some great info on MLP about how to accomplish that.

I paid $945 shipped for it, but it would have sold for considerably more had the seller not ended the auction 2 hrs early (that's another story).

• Members

Those 80's Burny LPs are friggin great. Long tenon? Enjoy.

There were 3 models of FLG's in 1980 and 81. The 90, 150 and 240. From what I've been told none had a long neck tenon. The 150's and 240's were full maple top and this one is a veneer. All 3 models are fairly rare, from what I learned in the past week or so.

Here's a pic of the neck pickup cavity.

PICT0172.JPG

• Members

Very nice! And rare! Love that flametop! Burny's are great and a nitro/early 80's one is a score! As good as it gets.

HNGD!

:thu:
:thu:

Thanks! That's what I found out after running across it on eBay and then asking at MLP.

• Members

do you know where the experts on the MLP forum get their info from? ... `cause as far as I know, it doesn`t come from the companies who built the guitars. I have been buying old MIJs for quite a few years now and honestly, it`s a lot harder finding accurate info in Japan so I`m not quite sure how people overseas do it...personally I have difficulty believing most of what I read on the web when it comes to the old MIJs because I know it doesn`t come from the factories who built em.

• Members

do you know where the experts on the MLP forum get their info from? ... `cause as far as I know, it doesn`t come from the companies who built the guitars. I have been buying old MIJs for quite a few years now and honestly, it`s a lot harder finding accurate info in Japan so I`m not quite sure how people overseas do it...personally I have difficulty believing most of what I read on the web when it comes to the old MIJs because I know it doesn`t come from the factories who built em.

I would guess their info comes from many years of dealing with MIJ LP's. In this particular case it came from a number of members there who own FLG-90s and 240s.

While I wouldn't swear on my life that what they said throughout both the before and after threads is indeed fact, the "before I bought" info was spot on when I compared what they said to the guitar itself.

I can give you links to the 2 threads if you want...or you can just visit and see for yourself.

I know you have been on this forum for many years and have the ability to see in person and touch alot of the old MIJ's, but I had little time to make a decision and they were extremely helpful in a very fast and timely manner. I used their advice to make my buying decision. And guess what? They were right in reference to this guitar. It's killer....

• Members

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/140679-burny-flg-90-value.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/141565-burny-flg-90-arrived-today.html

Here's a nice FLG-90 from one of those that helped me in making the decision:

5591478502_28c127ffd9_b.jpg

A nice FLG-240 from another:

DSC_0632.jpg

From my long experience on this planet, one can become very knowledgable about just about anything if it means enough to them and they care to make the effort to educate themselves....

Archived