The Madness Behind My Guitar Acquisition Methods: My GAS, Explained

• Members

There are multiple reasons why I have the guitars I have, multiple motivations that stimulate GAS.

One of my motivations is collecting. I want valuable guitars that will retain or increase in value. Or I want cool, iconic guitars that existed at a specific moment, or capture a specific moment of guitar history. One of the thoughts that strikes me when I think of these guitars is, "They aren't making 30 year old guitars anymore". Maybe at some point a company will have a re-issue but it isn't the same. My Peavey Vandenberg or my Hamer USA shredders are good examples of that:

Hamer USA Californian: extremely rare maple fretboard, and signed by Ted Nugent

Hamer USA Chaparral 12-string: very rare (even if no one cares how rare it is)

Peavey Vandenberg: very awesome, very under-rated guitar; maybe the ultimate 80s axe

Some guitars I have acquired just by buying and selling guitars, and I decided I liked them enough to keep. These are usually quality guitars, acquired at a "what the heck" price and retained because the quality is as good as guitars twice (or more) the price. This includes my Cort KX-5 (best action of all my guitars), and my Vantage X-77 (amazing tone).

Some guitars I keep because I love the appearance. This includes my Hamer import Stellar 1 (the only production guitar I know of w/ lacy oak top); my Hamer import SATF amber-burst with AAA 3D flamed maple top; I love the vibe of my Ibanez JTK1, too. Although these guitars also have excellent tone, excellent playability, and were all acquired for under $200...but I wouldn't hesitate to gig with any of them.

Some guitars are a deliberate attempt to collect a brand...maybe with the hope of them someday becoming well-known as very collectible and skyrocketing in price/value, but good enough that they make me happy to play even if they don't ever become truly collectible. These include Jon Kammerer, Vantage, and Westone.

- Jon Kammerer: strat style (heavy/thick), hollow body (potato-shaped), walnut small body electric, maple small body electric chambered, maple small body electric 3SC, maple small body electric desert deployment (nostalgia).

- Vantage: X-77 (awesome tone), trans red AV-325, trans blue AV-325, silver AV-325, AV-3xx (1x HB, pickguard = unknown model), FV-575 (flying V...awesome tone)

- Westone: '87 Genesis I (XA1530), '87 Corsair (XA1420; active pups, flame top), '88 transition Corsair/Spectrum (XA1430 + rvrs headstock & 24-frets), '89 Challenger, '90 Villain Graphite

- Epiphone 935i shredder and Pro-2 shredder

And then there are some just because they are excellent guitars for the price. This includes my Parker Niteflies ('87 and '88), an Aria Pro II I got for $100, a Cort Matthias Jabs Garage2; Yamaha PAC402s tele, Hamer Slammer Series strat.

Of course, some guitars are a combination of motivations. The Yamaha PAC402s has a beautiful quilt under a rich trans green color. The Jon Kammerer walnut small body electric might be the best guitar in my stable for tone and playability. If not, then my best overall guitar might be the Hamer USA Centaura Deluxe (w/ active EMGs and ebony fretboard), or the Hamer USA Centaura standard (w/ maple fretboard), or the Westone Challenger (acquired for just $200), or the Vandenberg. I love the appearance of the blueburst on the Hamer USA Centaura Deluxe. I love the figuring on my Jon Kammerer strat style (cherry wood w/ strong figuring and an asymmetric blonde flash).

Anyway, this was just an excuse to talk about my guitars. I love talking about guitars...

So why do you have the guitars you have? What guitars are on your wish-list, and why?

• Members

I've loved guitars since before I could really play them. At this point there are very few I haven't own that I've wanted. But passed selling of Guitars that I will never own again haunt me so I keep most of them. I only buy when they are reasonable$$$ or I haven't owned yet. I tend to buy doubles of my Favorites Early Jackson Soloist's, Schon's and Firebirds.

• Members

It is pretty simple for me, if I like a guitar, it plays nice, feels good and sounds nice I get it... But I am pretty much past the point of gassing over them. I have pretty much most of the ones I have ever wanted with a couple exceptions.. I would love to get a Gittler and an Aluminum body Tele or Strat or a Chrome guitar... or a Bad Horsie JEM or a Swirl Universe... but that is about it...

• Members

I get stuff because I think I need it, or that it will sound 'better' than what I already have, even though I wasted loads of time researching it the first time around... so usually my GAS is a complete money and time waster. In fact, I am thinking of dumping some superfluous stuff.

• Members

I get stuff because I think I need it, or that it will sound 'better' than what I already have, even though I wasted loads of time researching it the first time around... so usually my GAS is a complete money and time waster. In fact, I am thinking of dumping some superfluous stuff.

I hear you, it reaches a point sonically when I really feel like 'tone-wise' I have all of my bases covered...

Gibson USA guitars and Ibanez Prestiges have scratched my itch quite well though I do really want a JACKSON USA sometime down the road.

I feel like I'm going to put my $ into a nice amp head (6505) and cab once I have the room for it.

• Members

I like your way of thinking and it is also a very smart way to wind up with a nice herd that oneday may be worth a nice dollar without buying the latest hype guitar you could take a beating on. The Vandenberg along with the Wolfgang are really the only desirable and relavent Peavey guitars out there. Now land a Vandy Puzzle and you will be the envy of a lot of guys.

• Members

I've moved five times since 2004, so I have had a great motivation to NOT accumulated guitars. For every one I've bought, I've given up (at least) one. However, I may soon be in a position to start growing (if my kids ever move out, that is...)

• Members

To the OP I wanna say that I enjoyed reading that and appreciate your objectivity with regard to less expensive gear; something some folks lose sight of IMO. I enjoy playing my Korean made Brawley LTD Threat and my Washburn P290 as much as my more expensive guitars. I also have a Silvertone Pro Series acoustic that I spent all of about forty dollars for that plays and sounds terrific (not quite as articulate as my Japanese D35 copy but projects well with even tone). Due to job and family obligations, I don't play out much but for whatever reason chose these particular imports to play when I have.

In response to your query I would say that if anything, I'm addicted to the toanz. I honestly feel I have to play everyday just to keep my sanity and if anything I pick up from the stable annoys me in any way shape or form during this excercise I get rid of it in a hurry even if it's at a loss. I also don't like my guitars to duplicate each other in the tone dept and have weeded out what I thought to be the weaker examples. I also love Hamers and have two really terrific examples in an HB Special and a Mirage II. I got into Washburn Custom Shops pretty heavy for a time and will never part with my WM3 that sports a one piece swamp ash body and is the perfect combination of Strat and LP tones or my Laredo Tele which also has a Swamp Ash body and sounds like a Tele should IMO. I have a Gibson Studio Lite which is the perfect LP for me with the leaner size, ceramic pickups and Grover tuners. I have two Fender Strats (one with ceramics and a brass block and one with alnico and a steel block) and one heavily modified Harmony H-19 (60s vintage Jag copy) to round out the collection.

Archived