Some guitar price differences I am curious about.

gnr2391

• Members

Hey everyone,

So the Gibson ES-137 has a classic or custom model, which is about a 700 dollar difference. Is the difference in pickups (which should be about 150 to change to the custom ones if one buys a classic), and the addition of the varitone switch worth 700 really? What do you all think?

Secondly, with the Gibson Es 339, they have a figured kind which is about 1,300 dollars more than the regular ES-339. The only difference I really see in them is the more expensive one has a more smooth volume knob that preserves the high end well. Is this worth it? What do you guys think?

Thanks a bunch!

• Members

^^ that problem with the volume on the original/cheaper (I hesitate to use the word in the same sentence as Gibson) 339 really put me off what is otherwise a v nice guitar. I suppose much of the high cost for them is getting the right kind and quality of wood and particularly the labour costs, so as a proportion of the total cost of Gibson guitars, it doesn't surprise me very much. But surely you'd be better off getting the normal 339 and putting a different volume pot in there.

• Members

Good question! Surely it doesn't always make sense and the cheaper variant is likely to be a better value considering what you get. Gibson has no problem charging extra $$$ for things that aren't really worth it but that they know some will be ready to pay for.

• Members

Good question! Surely it doesn't always make sense and the cheaper variant is likely to be a better value considering what you get. Gibson has no problem charging extra $$$ for things that aren't really worth it but that they know some will be ready to pay for.

It's called profit margin and somebody has to provide it. I'm just glad it isn't me.

• Members

Varitones are damn near useless IMO. I have an ES-137 Classic and have no problems with the 490/498 combo, but I can see where somebody might want to upgrade the pickups. That would be my recommendation instead of getting the Custom. I'd also make sure you like the neck profile on the 137 before buying it. I like it, but it's not for everybody.

Archived