Fender 5e3 major buzz/hum issue

Dash4814

• Members

Got a great Tweed Deluxe a while ago, but it's got a major hum problem.

With all the knobs down the hum goes away, but the minute you turn up either of the volume knobs it begins this horrible buzz/hum. Seems like I can change the "tone" of the hum by adjusting the volume/tone knobs.

I am not an amp tech, but the wiring all looks good under there. Nothing glaring.

Any ideas?

• Members

Since you can't see anything obvious like a bad connection, burned out resistor, or leaky cap, maybe you should think about taking the amp to a good tech. Not knowing your background and experience, it sounds like a tech might be your quickest, cheapest solution - and one that doesn't shock you or further damage your amp.

• Members

This is a long shot, but does your signal chain include any pedals? I recently discovered that if my amp wasn't plugged into the same power strip as my Deluxe Memory Man, I would get intense hum at any volume.

• Members

Standard answer: the filter capacitors. It could be a lot of things, but that's the main thing to suspect in an old tube amp that hums.

You really didn't give enough info in your original post...is this a real, vintage Fender Deluxe, or a clone or re-issue? If it's original, has any work (like replacing the filter caps) been done to it?

Does it still have a 2-prong power cord and a ground reverse switch? Is the hum affected by changing the position of the ground switch? (careful here, you could be shocked. Don't touch any mic stands!)

• Members

It really does sound like filter caps - any difference if there is something plugged into the amp?

It sounds like there is some ripple in the B+ from the power supply that is being amplified as you turn up.

Since you say you are not a tech, I would suggest you take the amp to one. A good experienced tube amp tech could find the problem quickly and efficiently.

Remember there are 400+ volts of electrical potential inside those puppies and sometimes it's even there when they are turned off and disconnected from the mains.

• Members

Probably not filter caps - the hum would still be there if the amp was turned all the way down.

I don't think that is always the case. If the power supply ripple is small enough then it won't jump out at you until it gets amplified in the early stages. Usually if the hum does not change with the volume control it points to the filter for the negative grid bias on the output tubes (altho in this case it would not apply because of the cathode bias)

The best solution is to take it to an experienced tech but replacing the tubes is always a good place to start. The very thing that makes tube amps great is also their weakness.

Archived