ADVICE NEEDED - Clear Coating Guitar Body ...When to stop/walk away

Johansolo

• Members

im putting together a frankenstein Tele (MIM neck, HWY1 Body). bought it used, body was dinged up and wasnt the right colour/tint to match the maple neck.

i wanted to sand/carve some strat style forearm/belly curves in it anyways so decided to go the refinish route.

pics...

what i started with

DSC00510.jpg

forearm/belly carves

P1020146.jpg

P1020176.jpg

sandsealer/staining

P1020393.jpg

P1020409.jpg

so ive just sprayed on the clear coat which is cabots cabothane (clear gloss poly in a can) and after 2 passes and 24 hours of drying, im VERY happy with the result.

its a real consistant finish that looks matte yet glossy...

im not after the "dipped in glass" finish and im an OVER SANDING!!! i just wanted enough of a gloss to match the neck, which i have achieved... but im debating whether this is the time to walk away OR do another coat of clear (at the risk or ruining my consistent spray job)

ive already had issues with the stain (leaving wipe marks that i was picky/anal about), having to sand/restain/sand/restain... hence why im apprenhensive.

teles looke better with some wear & tear dont they?

thoughts???

• Members

Leave it as is. Polish as desired with whatever pastewax for final bit of sheen. Carwax like turtle paste wax is excellent for poly finish. If you do another clearcoat spray the chances to to high of not liking it as well as it is now. Youve got good protection on it now. So only other thing to do after assembled is polish occassionally as desired imo.

• Members

If it was finished well before the clear may not sink in all over but it most likely will where you have modified the body. You are going to need at least a few days to check the finish. The main reason for putting a lot of coats is to fill the grain. It you aren't polishing you just need enough to seal the wood. If you are polishing you will probably burn through that light coat.

• Members

Just a suggestion here...

No matter how much gloss (or lack of) you want, the surface of the guitar should be perfectly smooth.

Once the transparent has dried, you want to wet sand it with 2000 grit sand paper to eliminate all high points or low spots. Once that's done, the finish will be flat with no shine at all.

If you want it to shine a bit more, repeat the sanding process with 4000 grit. You can keep repeating the process all the way up to 12,000 grit, with each consecutive grit giving you just a bit more shine. You can stop once you've achieved the desired gloss.

Some guys here have recommended using Scotch bright to tame the shine too. I've never tried that method but the photos they've posted show great results.

• Members

I sort of agree with BoneNut, but not with the grit. I've painted my own cars with urathane and had the help and advice of a neighbor who has a shop and paints cars that get invited to pebble beach. We blocked out the clear with 600, then 1000 and then compound polished and glaze polished and were done. From what he told me, going above 1000 in grit isn't really doing anything. I agree that the finish needs to be perfectly smooth. More coats won't hurt. You can always sand more. My last guitar got 4 coats, then water sand and repeated a good 10 times, but I wanted some depth.

• Members

the body is has a good 30 hours of drying now, i should be able to handle it soon.. the finish is defnitely not smooth, its matte/satin like, which to be totally honest, i kinda really dig. hmmmm...

ill get some pics up soon.

• Members

after reassessing (the first 2 coats dried like 100grit)...i ended up Emptying the entire contents of my poly gloss on the body this morning. . Hopefully it dries as consistant as it looks when i left it.

I didnt bothered sanding anymore,since I figured the surface was consistant enough for the coat to adhere to.

Fingers crossed for the next few days of drying.

Archived