Just bought a Polytune. Wow.

Jkater

• Members

That thing is really something else. Ever tuned your guitar in six seconds? I just did.

Of course, if you're playing at home with time to spare, it's not a big deal but in the context of a gig, quickly checking tuning between songs, it's a real nice thing to have. In normal (chromatic) mode it's also very quick and precise. Even then it's faster and more stable than my Boss tuner. I also like how readable the display is. :thu:

• Members

O

Comparisons with the Korg Pitchblack anyone?

I have both. Had the pitch black first. The pb has zeo advantage over the polytune, and as has been said with h the poly you can identify which string is out and fix it/them in seconds! It's no contest, man.

• Members

Comparisons with the Korg Pitchblack anyone?

I bought a pitchblack because on the videos, the dot-matrix (or whatever it's called) display is hard to read. Someone on here said that's not the case in real life, but I chose the display I could definitely read. (not the best eyesight, here)

• Members

I got a Pitch Black for my bass rig because I can't actually tune the four strings to pitch on two of my basses, I have to tune one flat and one sharp, so that negates the advantage of Polytune and I like variety.

Why can't you tune them to pitch? And in real-life, comparing the displays, which one is easier to see?

• Members

I got a Pitch Black for my bass rig because I can't actually tune the four strings to pitch on two of my basses, I have to tune one flat and one sharp, so that negates the advantage of Polytune and I like variety.

Is it time to intonate your bass(es), maybe? Or recut the nut. Never heard of this problem before.

• Members

I've been mulling over a TU-3, a pitchblack, and a Polytune as well, but the dot display on the Polytune looks sketchy in youtube videos, but the features are way cooler. How is the polytune display??

It's funny that there are a lot of comments on the display being "hard to read" based on the youtube vids. In reality, it has to be the easiest tuner to read I ever had. The color changes and screams "I'm in pitch!" when you get to the right pitch. The Hardwire version might a little quicker to get used to with its horizontal, logical lines for the strings but it's minimal.

Also don't be fooled by the claim of hardwire saying they have "multiple alternate tunings". The only one they have is dropped D which is no sweat to get right on the poly, one string more to get instantly to by plucking the low E after you've tuned the five firsts.

One comment to the acoustic crowd: The Polytune ignores you completely: no bult-in mic and no polyphonic tuning of DADGAD, etc. Once they make one for that, I'll be spending money again on a tuner...

• Members

Is it time to intonate your bass(es), maybe? Or recut the nut. Never heard of this problem before.

310187641303.jpg

Yeah, intonation is a little off, but I don't have a lot of upgrade choices (Hipshot vintage, perhaps) since I need narrow spacing.

In any case, if I tune the bass correctly, there is very little problem with intonation, but there is definitely an art to tuning on instruments with shared saddles.

Archived