NGD Day - Squier Deluxe Strat Daphne Blue with Classic Vibe Tinted Neck

J.B. Lee

• Members

I had posted a thread earlier soliciting opinions about the neck swap and am happy (and a little surprised) to report that the deal went down without a hitch. I know swapping necks can be a minefield of mismatched heels, pockets, screw holes, and etc. In this case the new neck fit perfectly and everything went great.

The stock neck feels and plays great, BTW, and most reviews praise it highly. For some reason I have a hangup with untinted maple necks, particularly with satin finishes. I can't help but associate them with looking and feeling cheap, although many very high end guitars have the same type of neck. So I bought a like new Classic Vibe 50's strat neck on eBay and slapped it on. Now the guitar just looks "right" to me.

I was also pretty surprised with the paint on this guitar. Most pictures (stock photos and user submitted alike) show it as being very light, almost closer to sonic blue. This guitar is actually really intensely blue, a true daphne. The flash blows it out a little in these pictures, but you get the idea.

Before:

002no.jpg

After:

003jsc.jpg

• Members

H(N)GD!

Isn't Sonic Blue darker than Daphne Blue? I've had a '69 Mustang in Sonic and a '65 Mustang in Daphne and the Sonic was definitely deeper (and better). This Deluxe looks more Sonic than Daphne to me.

Anyway, I just got one of these a week ago and I cannot put it down. I'm saddened that you swapped out the neck since I think the stock neck is fantastic. Satin poly is good enough for Eric Clapton, it's good enough for me!

• Members

H(N)GD!

Isn't Sonic Blue darker than Daphne Blue? I've had a '69 Mustang in Sonic and a '65 Mustang in Daphne and the Sonic was definitely deeper (and better). This Deluxe looks more Sonic than Daphne to me.

Anyway, I just got one of these a week ago and I cannot put it down. I'm saddened that you swapped out the neck since I think the stock neck is fantastic. Satin poly is good enough for Eric Clapton, it's good enough for me!

I always thought Sonic was the super light blue, but the current Fender color chart shows them looking nearly identical? Maybe a Fender paint expert will chime in here. Anyway, I was really torn on the neck, but I think this will make me happier in the long run.

• Members

I'm digging what you have. It is a great look. I agree about the look of the stock neck. Now if it were mine (and it isn't :D) I'd take some sandpaper or steel wool to the back of the neck. My hand drags on CV necks.

Happy NGD!

• Members

I had posted a
thread
earlier soliciting opinions about the neck swap and am happy (and a little surprised) to report that the deal went down without a hitch. I know swapping necks can be a minefield of mismatched heels, pockets, screw holes, and etc. In this case the new neck fit perfectly and everything went great.

The stock neck feels and plays great, BTW, and most reviews praise it highly. For some reason I have a hangup with untinted maple necks, particularly with satin finishes. I can't help but associate them with looking and feeling cheap, although many very high end guitars have the same type of neck. So I bought a like new Classic Vibe 50's strat neck on eBay and slapped it on. Now the guitar just looks "right" to me.

You can tint your plain neck with some brown paste shoe polish. Wrap some cloth around your finger tips and rub it in. Might test it on the heel where it won't show first to see how you like it. Just tested..effect is subtle, not drastic, and looks nice.:thu:

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Brown-Shoe-Polish-1-1/dp/B000MLDC3O/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1306978490&sr=8-10

• Members

I tried to get the nerve up to tint the neck myself but I figured I'd botch it up real good :lol:

A vintage tinted neck with the satin finish would be the ideal compromise though. The stock neck feels like butter, I'm just a little picky on looks and to me the darker tint looks better, especially with this color body. The gloss finish is kind of good until your palms get sweaty, then it can get tacky on you.

I'm gonna need to find a tutorial on winding the strings around the split shaft tuners as well. The winding job I've got on there now is a hot mess :facepalm:

• Members

I know my guitar is officially daphne blue. I was just saying that most of the stock photos they use (including the official site you linked to) show a really light blue, a good bit lighter than mine looks in person. I thought this super light blue was called sonic blue, but perhaps not. That is the discussion as far as the color is concerned. In the end I think it all may come down to lighting, since even the photos that I took look lighter than the guitar looks in person.

• Members

I have a Deluxe and a CV Strat. I like the satin neck on the Deluxe MUCH better. In fact, it's what I would call the perfect neck size, shape and feel. At gigs the CV neck gets sticky from smoke and sweat. The Deluxe satin never does. If I were you I'd try tinting the stock neck and keep the guitar stock.

Anyway, congrats on the new guitar.

• Members

I'm gonna need to find a tutorial on winding the strings around the split shaft tuners as well. The winding job I've got on there now is a hot mess
:facepalm:

Less is best with these. Pull the string tight, and cut about an inch past the tuner (I like to cut to the next tuner), except the high E which should have a bit more, say 1.25" or 1.5" (they have a tendency to snap if they don't get enough extra length). These numbers are actually higher than necessary, 3/4" is sufficient for most strings, but as a beginner, you probably want to err on the longer side of things.

Then, poke the string end into the hole, then pull it through the shaft and turn. I use a string winder (everyone should have one, you do as well, right?) and like to pull the string with my right hand but use the thumb to push the string against the headstock as I wind with my left hand. This makes sure that things will wind up nicely. If you did it right, you shouldn't get any more than one and a half wrappings around the tuners, a few more on the high E string. That means you did it right. I prefer less than one wrapping myself. Kinman thinks there should be 1/2 to 3/4 of a winding.

As you're tuning the strings, make sure you tune up, then do some massive bends, then tune up again, repeat until you can bend without the tuning changing. These split shaft tuners are the most stable non-locking tuners I've used (and really, they do lock for all intents and purposes) and are my favorite kind of tuners.

• Members

I have a Deluxe and a CV Strat. I like the satin neck on the Deluxe MUCH better. In fact, it's what I would call the perfect neck size, shape and feel. At gigs the CV neck gets sticky from smoke and sweat. The Deluxe satin never does. If I were you I'd try tinting the stock neck and keep the guitar stock.

Anyway, congrats on the new guitar.

I'm with ya - I MUCH prefer the satin neck to the hi-gloss on the CV. It's been a deal breaker for the CVs for me, although I guess I could buy one of each and do the swap meself, eh??? ;)

• Members

Sweet Swap .... I did the same with my (now sold) Poor Man's Eric Clapton strat .... 100 % improvement adding a 50s classic player neck

That looks freakin' sweet! I wanted to put a Fender 50's neck on mine but the prices on eBay were a little too high for me to justify (more than I paid for the guitar). That's a really classy looking color combination for a Strat. Love the different shades of white against the amber neck.

Archived