Fret buzzzzzz halp...

Mustaine-who?

• Members

Oooook

On my Caparison TAT...I've suddenly developed fret buzz on the 1st fret. Open strings are fine. A5 chord frets out on the 3rd-5th strings. Guitar is tuned to C standard with Daddario 13s. Played fine for weeks...now fret buzz. I'm a little hesitant to "tap the fret" if it has lifted...

Thoughts?

• Members

Buzz in the first three frets will generally, not always, indicate a nut problem. First change strings and see if that corrects the problem.

nope. once you fret a note, the nut is taken out of the buzz equation. it can't make the string buzz. only the frets can.

since there was no fret buzz before, either the truss-rod needs a little adjusting, or if there's been a lot of playing, the frets may need levelling. a third possibility is that one or more frets are not fully seated and need to be tamped down into place.

or, as normh said, a string change might take care of the problem.

if a nut slot is cut too deep, you will have buzzing on open strings. if the nut is cut too shallow, then the notes on the first and maybe second fret will be sharp (as the string has to bend too far to reach the fretboard).

• Members

nope. once you fret a note, the nut is taken out of the buzz equation. it can't make the string buzz. only the frets can.

since there was no fret buzz before, either the truss-rod needs a little adjusting, or if there's been a lot of playing, the frets may need levelling. a third possibility is that one or more frets are not fully seated and need to be tamped down into place.

or, as normh said, a string change might take care of the problem.

if a nut slot is cut too deep, you will have buzzing on open strings. if the nut is cut too shallow, then the notes on the first and maybe second fret will be sharp (as the string has to bend too far to reach the fretboard).

Some people will argue that it does not hurt when you run full tilt nose first into a wall.

Nut problems are not just the nut is cut too deep. The slot may be too wide because the OP changed string gauges, may be to narrow for the same reason, or may have a v slot instead of a rounded slot bottom. The angle of the nut relative to the lay of the strings and the tuners may be incorrect applying too little pressure to the nut, or too much.

Assuming the man has not checked the fret level in the first three frets (edit 4- 6th frets), the fret following the buzzing fret may be to high because it shifted do to weathering or loosening, etc. But my experience is that it is generally a nut problem and that the first step in diagnosing in not to screw up the other mechanics of the guitar and first eliminate the strings as the problem then work from the simplest to the most complex.

However, I reread the OP and would have to say that the problem sounds like either a shifted fret or incorrect relief. Without the instrument in hand, or appropriate pictures with the first and last frets held down, it would be hard to say it would be hard to say.

• Members

once the string is pressed down and fretted, the nut can't cause buzz. its a physical impossibility.

"As a result, on the neck of the guitar there are little strips of metal called frets, whose function is to decrease the length of the string, which will cause a higher frequency. When a string is pressed down near a fret, the resonant length of the string is decreased, as it no longer stretches from the bridge to the nut but from the bridge to the fret where the string is being held down. This decreases the length of the wave (?) through decreasing the length of the medium (string), which consequently increases the frequency of the string."

http://www.co-bw.com/Guitar_physics_of.htm

• Members

once the string is pressed down and fretted, the nut can't cause buzz. its a physical impossibility.

Bullspit.

The string can buzz backwards from being to close to the string. If the string does not clear the previous frets, if it touches one of the previous frets, you can have a buzzing problem. The nut does a little more than hold the string in position - it sets the action for the upper end of the neck.

• Members

Bullspit.

The string can buzz backwards from being to close to the string. If the string does not clear the previous frets, if it touches one of the previous frets, you can have a buzzing problem. The nut does a little more than hold the string in position - it sets the action for the upper end of the neck.

haha. lol. you have no idea what you're talking about.

this page analyzes various types of fret buzz and possible solutions. If you'll notice, the only one which involves the nut is buzz on open strings.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/buzzing.php

• Members

Lots of different ideas. We can't know for sure unless we see the git. Can you hold it up to your computer screen? Check neck relief. Have you been using this tuning and this gauge strings for a long time or just a few days? Is this a set neck? Don't matter either way, but I have a checklist in my head I always use. Takes me about 30 seconds to find the problem when I see it. Best advice, either learn to do your own setups or find a good tech.

I've been learning guitars by default. I set up a friend's guitar and the asshole told everybody. Now I spend more time working on customer guitars than my own. I ask a bazillion questions when I have a new customer with a new problem. I get inside their head so I know what they want.

• Members

haha. lol. you have no idea what you're talking about.

this page analyzes various types of fret buzz and possible solutions. If you'll notice, the only one which involves the nut is buzz on open strings.

Another 14 y/o with his first guitar who has read a lot of nothing and has no experience.

• Members

Another 14 y/o with his first guitar who has read a lot of nothing and has no experience.

instead of bashing me, why don't you come up with something to back up your interesting claim that a nut could cause buzzing on fretted notes? ya got nothing. even at 70 years of age.

• Members

instead of bashing me, why don't you come up with something to back up your interesting claim that a nut could cause buzzing on fretted notes? ya got nothing. even at 70 years of age.

Ever hear of the circle of fifths. Rather than give a music theory lesson, I suggest an example you can test yourself.

Ever notice that when you tune the low E string, if the B string is in tune - or close - it will vibrate. When you fret a note, the same thing happens, but the vibration travels back toward the nut. If the nut is cut so that the strings are two close to the preceding fret, the string can buzz on a prior fret. Usually when cutting a nut, the third fret is held down while the string to fret clearance is checked. Some use feeler gauges, and some use tapping to test the distance. In both people sometimes fubar, whether it is a mistake, such as failing to blow the dust out prior to reseating the string, or a failure to check to properly set the string in the slot is immaterial.

Going to the nut itself. First you have to look at the cut. While there are differing beliefs about how to cut a nut, my experience is that you want to half the angle from the lay of the string to the string slot as well as half the angle from the beginning of the nut to the tuner. The reason is that if you fail to you may break the string somewhere other than the front of the nut. this can contribute to difficult to diagnose buzzing problems.

Some people believe the the string slot should be curved down towards the tuning peg. In my experience, that is not a good idea. It is arguable.

Now you have the slot width itself. If too wide the string can slop from side to side, and if too narrow, the string will not seat properly. Both can contribute to buzzing. Strings are also not uniform across packs or brands. On properly cut nuts, the disparity in strings does not matter much, but it can contribute.

The things I have addressed can, and do contribute to buzzing in the first three frets, although there are other reasons as well.

• Members

Lots of different ideas. We can't know for sure unless we see the git. Can you hold it up to your computer screen? Check neck relief. Have you been using this tuning and this gauge strings for a long time or just a few days? Is this a set neck? Don't matter either way, but I have a checklist in my head I always use. Takes me about 30 seconds to find the problem when I see it. Best advice, either learn to do your own setups or find a good tech.

I've been learning guitars by default. I set up a friend's guitar and the asshole told everybody. Now I spend more time working on customer guitars than my own. I ask a bazillion questions when I have a new customer with a new problem. I get inside their head so I know what they want.

Yeow!

Quite the {censored} fest going on. I put 13s on a few months ago. Adjusted neck relief....then trem angle...then trem height. Very happy...just recently started getting buzz. I'll pick up new strings tomorrow and check relief then. Could be the weather...I've turned on my AC a few weeks ago as well...

Archived