so THIS is what minihumbuckers sound like?

twotimingpete

• Members

been waiting ages for PGS to demo a guitar with minihums. PGS has the best demos and the only ones I really pay attention to.

I've had a little experience with em in the neck position of a tele, but never played one in the bridge of a guitar.

[video=youtube;A7wCHJ173wg]

is it just me or do they almost sound like they could be p90s at times? there's definitely a nice bright single coiliness to them and going just by sound could be mistaken for SCs -- by me, anyway.

• Members

been waiting ages for PGS to demo a guitar with minihums. PGS has the best demos and the only ones I really pay attention to.

PGS's videos are useless, since Andy can make a piece of wet plywood with rusty barbed wire strung on it with a blown iPod earbud as a pickup plugged into a '78 Impala car stereo sound like total god. I mean come on, have you ever heard him demo anything and not thought "ohmygod I HAVE to have THAT!!!" It's a good thing I'm not rich, since those videos would have cost me a pile of cash by now.

• Members

Yeah, that's how they sound like (depending of the amp of course). But it's definitly different from the P90's. The high mids are differently shaped, making the mini hums a bit more piercing (in a good way), snarly, while the P90 has more low mids and is a bit warmer . Both pickups are great for raging tones that let you cut thru any mix.

• Members

PGS's videos are useless, since Andy can make a piece of wet plywood with rusty barbed wire strung on it with a blown iPod earbud as a pickup plugged into a '78 Impala car stereo sound like total god. I mean come on, have you ever heard him demo
anything
and not thought "ohmygod I HAVE to have THAT!!!" It's a good thing I'm not rich, since those videos would have cost me a pile of cash by now.

He's a really good player, so yeah, he makes stuff sound good... but I've watched demos and decided that the pedal (or whatever) wouldn't work for me. I do think he does a good job of accurately representing the gear.

• Members

Minis are a perfect example of why I like lower output pickups. No mud, sweet highs and oh so musical.

Minis in particular shift that EQ spike up the ladder a few notches above P90s and PAFs, so the"honk" deisappears and you get a real nice peak in the upper mids.

Definitely fatter sounding than a strat single, but still quite chimey and clear.

Powerful enough to make for some real nice full driven tones, too.

I never understood why they weren't more popular. I'll never be without at least one again.

EG

• Members

he maeks everything sound good, yeah, but that's not a "trick" because good players sound good, it really doesn't matter what guitar it is. that's reality.

but it's also useful because I know the baseline. they always use the same amp (unless it's an amp demo) and unless otherwise stated, the overdrive is from a kalamazoo. the consistency of their process lets make a decision about how something sounds and what it'd mean to me, because I can compare it to other things. quality and consistency together are precisely why these demos are the only useful demos on youtube.

• Members

PGS's videos are useless, since Andy can make a piece of wet plywood with rusty barbed wire strung on it with a blown iPod earbud as a pickup plugged into a '78 Impala car stereo sound like total god. I mean come on, have you ever heard him demo
anything
and not thought "ohmygod I HAVE to have THAT!!!" It's a good thing I'm not rich, since those videos would have cost me a pile of cash by now.

This. Andy is THE man. I want to be Andy... on guitar at least... but stay myself in all other aspects of life.

• Members

In my experience "regular" minis can get that snarlyness(is that a word?) like p90's. I use a Firebird mini in the neck and that is a little more polite and snappy, like traditional single coils.

It's actually the other way around.

A real Firebird-style mini is much harder to tame that a Epiphone/Les Paul Deluxe-style mini. The Firebird as an upper-midrange sizzle that's impossible to clean up. The Epiphone/LPD pickups are about as close as a Les Paul ever comes to sounding like a Tele. The big difference between the two is the Epiphone/LPD mini is made like a small PAF, with one bottom magnet and steel poles (actually steel poles on one coil, a single steel slug on the other), the Firebird PU was deigned to be cheaper to make, it just uses one magnetic pole/slug piece for each coil.

But you have to compare traditional builds. When throwing in a curve-ball like a Seymour Duncan, everything changes...Seymours look like Firebird PU's but are built like Epiphones, DiMarzio also has it's own unique construction, as to some others.

Archived