Al Hendrix and Kathy Etchingham on Jimi Hendrix's Personal Record Collection

JasO

• Members

Jimi Hendrix never took formal lessons, learned to read music, or cracked open guitar instruction book. Like most players who learn by ear, he was influenced by recordings of other musicians. Based on the recollections of his dad and his girlfriend in London, Kathy Etchingham, I've just posted an article tracing the evolution of the music that influenced Jimi during his boyhood in Seattle and the album collection he amassed after moving to London.

One of the best journalistic assignments of my life was co-authoring the book "My Son Jimi" with his dad, Al Hendrix. Al recalled that Jimi's love of music first kicked in during junior high, when he was sharing a room with his cousin Bobby.

• Members

Great article- who would of thought that Hendrix loved the Bee Gees!

Not surprised - lots of people did at that time.

They hadn't reached the pinnacle of disco but made solid pop stuff with good lyrics and vocals.

Funny how disco wiped out perfectly good bands.

• Members

Really nice read, as far as the Bee Gees so many people forget they had a whole solid career and greatest hits album before ever doing Saturday Night Fever and turning themselves into disco kings. Surprised there was no mention that Jimi wound up as Little Richards guitarist and got fired by him for upstaging the boss.

Archived