Are there external hard drives with 2 drives?

Phait

• Members

I'm looking for a backup solution (my current one is a 20 GB internal drive I put in a drive dock... eek).

I don't want to spend much more than a hundred. I do usually buy and prefer Seagate. I see a bunch of 500+GB external drives, but the specs never say if it's 1 drive or 2 -- most of these external cases look like they would house 2 drives.

This way I have 2 exact backups.

• Members

Why do you want 2 exact copies within the same external drive, eg, RAID 1 configuration? That will reduce risk of loss due to physical drive failure, but will not protect against viruses, fire, theft, lightning or other electrical spikes, or software/malware induced file corruption. Wouldn't it provide better overall security to get 2 separate external drives and rotate them, keeping one in a secure off site location in case of theft or fire in your studio, or at least keeping at least one disconnected at all times in case of virus or electical spike.

• CMS Author

I'm looking for a backup solution (my current one is a 20 GB internal drive I put in a drive dock... eek).

I see a bunch of 500+GB external drives, but the specs never say if it's 1 drive or 2 -- most of these external cases look like they would house 2 drives.

Anything that's packaged as an external drive will be a single drive. Have you considered something like this dual dock for bare SATA drives? If you want two backups, you could drop two drives into the slots, copy what you want backed up to both drives, remove them and store them away. You can plug them back into the dock if you need to restore from the drives. As long as you're not going to be carrying the drives around there's no reason to have them installed in a case, and by buying bare drives, you know exactly what you're getting.

One thing that isn't completely clear about this one is whether there's one slot for a 3.5" drive and the other slot for a 2.5" drive, or if both slots can accommodate both sizes. Ask first before ordering. I have a single dock from this company (Vantec) and it works just fine.

p34722a.jpg

• Members

"One thing that isn't completely clear about this one is whether there's one slot for a 3.5" drive and the other slot for a 2.5" drive, or if both slots can accommodate both sizes. Ask first before ordering. I have a single dock from this company (Vantec) and it works just fine. "

IME, both fit both sizes.

I use a version from another manufacturer and I like it.

• Members

Mediasonic do a bunch of external multiple drive cases, both RAID and plain. No personal experience with them.

I am looking to build a RAID networked store this year. There's so much that needs to be backed up these days that I'd rather have one unit that I can trust for everything. Combined with an offsite backup.

js

• Members

Have you considered something like this
dual dock
for bare SATA drives? If you want two backups, you could drop two drives into the slots, copy what you want backed up to both drives, remove them and store them away. You can plug them back into the dock if you need to restore from the drives.
p34722a.jpg

Looks nice but will it toast bread?

• Members

The real question is, relevant to the OP, will it toast hard drives? Bare internal HDs are not really made for frequent plugging/unplugging, for carrying around, and certainly not for dropping even a few inches. The big advantage of backing up to external drives is that you can keep the backup disconnected and in a different physical location, avoiding data corruption from malware and physical threats like theft and fire. Carrying a bare internal drive around, if not properly protected from mechanical and static electrical shock, sounds a bit risky. Also, I would imagine HDs need to be inserted and removed while the USB and power are disconnected, or is this automatically built in to the unit?

• CMS Author

I have a big pile of "bare" drives for my Mackie hard disk recorder. I put them in the anti-static bags that they came in originally, and then store one or two in a plastic Office Depot "pencil box" that's just about the right size. I handle them carefully and they don't get damaged. For projects where I'm switching drives frequently, I put them in carriers, but just for backup I don't see any reason to worry about not having an enclosure, if it otherwise suits your working style.

Now I wouldn't recommend this sort of connection for day-in-day-out plugging and unplugging, but for double backup, I see no reason not to just leave a couple of drives in the dock and turn the power off when it's not being used.

Archived