Aeroplane horror stories

hugbot

• Members

I'm looking at taking my guitars on a plane soon and all the advice about travelling with instruments on a plane has a kind of hysterical "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CARRY IT ON -BUY IT ITS OWN SEAT IF YOU HAVE TO" tone.

Is it really that bad to stow a guitar in the hold? Even with a decent case? Anyone got any stories about what the {censored} happens in there?

• Members

I'm not sure you can buy a seat for a guitar. All items must be stowed.

As for air travel - get a flight case. That's exactly what they are for. Anything less is less. If you were riding a motorcycle, you'd wear a motorcycle helmet - not a bicycle helmet, or hockey helmet or batters helmet. If you chose to use any other type of case, be prepared for potential problems.

• Members

Your guitar will be thrown. All luggage is thrown, as is easily seen when they're unloading the plane. If the case can withstand that, and there's enough cushion/shock absorption inside, it'll be fine. I've flown with a guitar, but I've carried it on. They'll usually let you, and they'll usually put it in the coat closet. A molded Strat hardshell will fit in the overhead bins, though. It's best to call the airline ans ask them specifically about their guitar policy. Also, plane tickets are way too expensive to buy one for your guitar. In a lot of cases, you can buy one upon arrival for less than the ticket.

Archived