HELP! Getting loud hum from my PRS after pickup change!

Firebrand

• Members

I just put a set of Dragon IIs with chrome covers put in my 93 PRS-CE24. Had them "professionally wired". Volume, Tone and 3-way switch. Orange drop cap. No treble bleed cap.

When I turn the volume up I get a terrible hum, regardless if I touch the strings or not. When I tap the volume control it sounds micro-phonic with the neck pickup on. Not as noticeable with the bridge pickup but the hum noise does not change regardless of selector position.

Do I have a bad volume or tone control? Any other thoughts?

• Members

you'll need to post close up pics on this one. I'm guessing it's a ground issue, but I can't be sure. When you say professionally wired, what does that mean? Did you pay someone to install the pups? If so, take it back.

• Members

I'll take pics when I get home tonight. And yea, I paid $50 to a local tech to get the job done. It took a month due to him being backlogged. Everything "looks right". I had the same problem with the previous set of pickups and thought it was my sad skills causing the issue this time. Had ALL the wiring replaced with some "vintage cloth" wire I bought.

• Members

Swing by the hardware/electronics store on the way home and get some alligator clips. Post up some pics when you get there. I think we'd be able to figure it out and get the guitar rolling! Sounds like you have a soldering iron?

• Members

The wiring is solidly connected but there is yapping between the control and the wire.

I double checked the pickups and from what I can tell the covers are original and not added on after market.

I'm getting the alligator clips In the morning when the store I need to get them from is open.

• Members

Cold solder joints on the grounds at the pots? Every guitar I've ever personally worked in has somewhat of a hum issue. A guy on TGP (:rolleyes:I know) suggested that the culprit may be cold solder joints on the pots where the grounds connect together. Just throwing out another suggestion.

• Members

What kind of professional wires a guitar up and doesn't check it afterwards?

i'd imagine the kind that works at guitar center?

on topic, +1 on the alligator clips. just start messing around until you find the ground issue.

• Members

I can live with a little hum, but the hum this is giving off is ridiculous. Right now, my RT650 is dead quiet compared to the PRS. The RT650 has Evolution pickups. Same with my Jeff Beck strat which has the stock (hot noiseless) pups.

I will add some solder to the volume pot connections in hopes this helps reduce the issue.

Is it possible that I would get this kind of noise from a bad pot?

HungPhat, once/if I can get this resolved I will let you know. I was looking for some hotter pups to push the signal chain of my pedals, and hoping the DIIs would be the ticket.

• Members

I really hate to criticize another tech's work, but those solder joints look like what we used to call "pigeon poop". Particularly the joints on the backs of the pots.

Pots these days have an anticorrosive coating on them, which, if not removed, will play hell with soldering. I use a burnishing pad on a Dremel to clean this off before I solder, along with a bit of flux. I suggest you could clean them adequately with a pencil eraser, but you need to solder to a clean surface!

If you paid fifty bucks for that job, I need to get back into the electronics business! I would take that back and "suggest" that it was done over and correctly.

(I have to make this clear, I am not a guitar tech, but did component level electronics repair in the Navy for ten years plus. Soldering is soldering.)

• Members

So after doing some prelim checking with the clips, I think it may be the volume pot. At one point I tapped the volume pot 2 or 3 times and the noise level decreased dramatically. I tapped it a couple times more and it reappeared.

When switching pickups, the noise remains constant. When I turn the volume down it completely disappears.

When I plug in my "control" instrument for this test, the RT650, the noise floor is 1/4 as loud. I did find one setting on the RT650 where the noise was equivalent, and that is when the bridge humbucker is combined with the middle single coil.

Archived