Why is Eddie so far to the left?

144dB

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyway, I don't get the Van Halen mystique, and I am just about the right age to be caught up in that nostalgia. Even when I hear the "classic" Van Halen tracks, all I can think is that there's too much vocal and snare drum, and not enough anything else. DLR lyrics are cringe-inducing, and they're always the loudest thing in the mix. Right up (down?) there with Anthony Kiedis.

There's nothing to "get". Either their music suits your personal musical taste or it doesn't.

• Members

Hey, I have an eventual question about Van Halen......

By 78 or 79, I had just had a VERY enjoyable 5 years in the disco world doing a lotta chaka chakas on my guitar.

Van Halen music was sort of a low drone in the left speaker for me (all of it... not just Eddie's guitar).. so I wasn't paying much attention.

But one day, someone gave me a VH album so that I could show the guy how to play "Spanish Fly". First time I actually sat to listen to anything of theirs.

And dang.... I couldn't play it. And I'm a good guitar player. I sat there for the longest time, trying to understand HOW that guy could play that short song and play it so fast. I tried every which way in every scale position there is and I could not play that thing.

It made no sense to me whatsoever that this kid could play so fast.

Needless to say, I hadn't remotely HEARD of tapping.

I dunno HOW long it was after that when I found out what tapping was all about. Probably a few months later.....I woulda known in 5 seconds if the internet had been invented back then.

Was I the ONLY one who discovered tapping via EVH? Or did all you guys already know about it before him/them.... and I maybe didn't get the news til VH cuz I was too far into Studio 54 land?

• Members

Hey, I have an eventual question about Van Halen......

By 78 or 79, I had just had a VERY enjoyable 5 years in the disco world doing a lotta chaka chakas on my guitar.

Van Halen music was sort of a low drone in the left speaker for me (all of it... not just Eddie's guitar).. so I wasn't paying much attention.

But one day, someone gave me a VH album so that I could show the guy how to play "Spanish Fly". First time I actually sat to listen to anything of theirs.

And dang.... I couldn't play it. And I'm a good guitar player. I sat there for the longest time, trying to understand HOW that guy could play that short song and play it so fast. I tried every which way in every scale position there is and I could not play that thing.

It made no sense to me whatsoever that this kid could play so fast.

Needless to say, I hadn't remotely HEARD of tapping.

I dunno HOW long it was after that when I found out what tapping was all about. Probably a few months later.....I woulda known in 5 seconds if the internet had been invented back then.

Was I the ONLY one who discovered tapping via EVH? Or did all you guys already know about it before him/them.... and I maybe didn't get the news til VH cuz I was too far into Studio 54 land?

DITTO !!!

• Members

I was late to the Van Halen party. I never heard of Eddie Van Halen until Michael Jackson's "Beat It" single. But about the same time "Beat It" became a hit, VH1 started playing Stanley Jordan videos. So I don't remember who showed me two-handed tapping on guitar first.

• Members

You probably know more than I about what was considered "plenty enough studio time" or reasonable budgets in those days, but according to this link, the sessions for the first VH album consisted of 25 songs recorded over 18 days with a budget of $40,000.

I've got bands coming in here doing albums in a week or so, a super quick period of time, and even we have enough studio time to experiment with different sounds for a reasonable amount of time.

• Members

I found the quote from EVH on stereo panning that I mentioned above:

I can't stand it. I guess it worked for the first record. But after that it got old really fast. If you have a car and the left speaker's blown, the guitar is gone. If you're sitting on the right in the back seat, you don 't hear the guitar even if both front speakers work. What kind of {censored} is that?

I remember him saying this!!! And I also remember him saying that he didn't do a lot of overdubs on the first album because he couldn't really wrap his head around doing that!

• Members

That was *easily* the first time I ever heard anything like that. As I mentioned previously, the first time I ever heard Van Halen was at the beach. This guy in a big truck pulls up in the parking lot, puts up a couple of huge speakers on top, and blasts "Eruption" so loud that we could hear it even relatively far away (we were of course closer to the water, so we heard it probably 50-70 ft. away over the roar of the Pacific). Everybody turned around. I know my friends and I were slack-jawed. We had never heard anything like this before.

I still love the first and second album.

• Members

I've got bands coming in here doing albums in a week or so, a super quick period of time, and even we have enough studio time to experiment with different sounds for a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah - particularly if the band is doing everything live with little or no overdubbing, as VH did for the first record.

• Members

My first exposure to tapping was Emmett Chapman's Stick....IIRC this was sometime in the mid-70s.

• Members

My first exposure to tapping was Emmett Chapman's Stick....IIRC this was sometime in the mid-70s.

I remember Emmett had a pic of you and your Stick playing partner at the time in his instructional book. Well, definitely the woman anyway.

Archived