How come whenever I shutdown and unplug my PC, days or a week later it throws BSODs

Phait

• Members

I also do IT for a living, and I generally agree with what Beck says, however, power, bad, dipping or dirty power, has caused more weird or chronic PC issues than almost any other thing I have ever worked on with the exception of viruses. Get one of these. Regardless, it is a great thing to have, especially on your most vulnerable piece, your PC.

The other thing to get is a copy of Spin Rite. I will email you my copy to use if need be. If it works, buy it. Steve Gibson, the author, does not mind. His software is so good, most people end up buying it. PM if you want it.

RE: Hating on Nortons. Nortons Sucks. The issue with it is not the cost. The issue is, the performance penalty you pay for running it is sometimes worse than the virus it MAY protect you from. Viruses no are sometimes custom written to avoid certain scanner routines, so something that Nortons will miss, will get caught by McAfee, or AVG or Avast. The only way to truly protect your self from viruses is to have three backups of everything. If your data does not exist in three places, it does not exist.

When I clean a machine for folks now, I start them with a fresh load, AVG free and Malabytes. I disable ASP in Explorer, and install Chrome as the default browser.

Also, whenever I build a PC now, I buy 2 mobo's. 1 sits in a box as cheap insurance. If the thing cooks, swap it and you are back online. No driver changes, nothing.

If you are running a router, disable UPNP. If you are scanning or trying to clean a machine, take it offline. Many viruses will phone home to re-infect, and you are in essence in a cycle of whack a mole.

Good luck. This {censored} can make you crazy. Go slow, stay patient and you WILL get to the bottom of it.

• Members

I also do IT for a living, and I generally agree with what Beck says, however, power, bad, dipping or dirty power, has caused more weird or chronic PC issues than almost any other thing I have ever worked on with the exception of viruses. Get one of these. Regardless, it is a great thing to have, especially on your most vulnerable piece, your PC.

The other thing to get is a copy of Spin Rite. I will email you my copy to use if need be. If it works, buy it. Steve Gibson, the author, does not mind. His software is so good, most people end up buying it. PM if you want it.

RE: Hating on Nortons. Nortons Sucks. The issue with it is not the cost. The issue is, the performance penalty you pay for running it is sometimes worse than the virus it MAY protect you from. Viruses no are sometimes custom written to avoid certain scanner routines, so something that Nortons will miss, will get caught by McAfee, or AVG or Avast. The only way to truly protect your self from viruses is to have three backups of everything. If your data does not exist in three places, it does not exist.

When I clean a machine for folks now, I start them with a fresh load, AVG free and Malabytes. I disable ASP in Explorer, and install Chrome as the default browser.

Also, whenever I build a PC now, I buy 2 mobo's. 1 sits in a box as cheap insurance. If the thing cooks, swap it and you are back online. No driver changes, nothing.

If you are running a router, disable UPNP. If you are scanning or trying to clean a machine, take it offline. Many viruses will phone home to re-infect, and you are in essence in a cycle of whack a mole.

Good luck. This {censored} can make you crazy. Go slow, stay patient and you WILL get to the bottom of it.

• Members

Beck's list is a very good one, and also amen to the tip about dirty power. I used to office in an older part of Austin that needed some serious electrical grid upgrades, and the brownouts were constant. This was back in the day of constant paper fax transmission, and the fax machine would literally slow down and speed up as the power fluctuated, occasionally just halting and sitting there, buzzing with angry hornet-like hot electrons tormenting the components...ahh, the smell of frying electronic components in the morning...

Nat's tip o the day computerwise is for M$-OS users - run the little msconfig program. Just type in "msconfig" in XP's "run" box, or in Win7, use the generic search box. You get a little window with tabs along the top. Check the Startup for a list of the ten zillion little (and not so little) apps that ramp up at every boot and sit there in the background, most of them uselessly chewing up CPU cycles and throwing interrupts into the system on occasion, or calling up the internet for a little info-sharing gab session incognito. Or maybe to download a program update for something - Java, or your printer driver, or Windows, whatever...pretty much regardless of whatever else you may be doing on your computer.

In my world of purchased software, the worst offenders in terms of populating my Startup with background squatters are Adobe, Intuit, Apple, and HP.

I just go down the list periodically and uncheck the latest useless apps. These apps, if needed for program operation, will re-load upon your actually using the related program so there's no downside to turning off this Startup "preload" stuff. It's as if you buy a car, and some little gremlin comes along and starts your engine a couple of hours every day before you get up so it sits there burning gas on idle, just so you'll what...feel like this car is more "convenient" because gee whiz, you didn't even have to turn the key??

nat whilk ii

• Members

Nat's tip o the day computerwise is for M$-OS users - run the little msconfig program. Just type in "msconfig" in XP's "run" box, or in Win7, use the generic search box. You get a little window with tabs along the top. Check the Startup for a list of the ten zillion little (and not so little) apps that ramp up at every boot and sit there in the background, most of them uselessly chewing up CPU cycles and throwing interrupts into the system on occasion, or calling up the internet for a little info-sharing gab session incognito. Or maybe to download a program update for something - Java, or your printer driver, or Windows, whatever...pretty much regardless of whatever else you may be doing on your computer.

Yup I do this everytime I clean install my PC, and down the line after various program installs.

• Members

I think line conditioners, in general, are money we spent...They are usually not much more than a good surge protector or small UPS, and have similar functions while cleaning the power. With the grid in general being overloaded, rolling blackouts, etc, all of these electrical fluctuations are hard one electronics. Its a cheap way to give you reasonable stability.

While Tape is nice in theory.....UG!. Splicing, head alignment, FINDING tape....unless you can afford someone to be your tape monkey, OR know way more than I do ( Ken :p..) I'd stick with digital. You can always re-record to tape when you hit it big and wanna go Foo Fighters in your garage..:)

• Members

Actually, as an aside, I've thought about getting a tape machine to output my in-the-box mixes to tape then back for added warmth... wonder if it's worth it $ wise though?

Analog sounds great, is less costly (in the long run), and easier to maintain once you know how. No need for splicing except for the master tape, but that

• Members

Well the BSODs are back. I had the computer shutdown overnight last night, not unplugged. Was getting ready to do some design work today and wham.

So, {censored} it. Backed up what I need, gonna wipe this MF'er clean and for {censored}s n' giggles NOT install the USB 3.0 driver, I never even used the port (I don't have any USB 3 devices anyway).

I hate downtime especially when I have to get things done.

• Members

It's running like a top! Although when I put it to sleep, the POST screen comes up, then says 'resuming windows'... I have never had that before. I usually just hit the space key and I'm immediately in Windows. Weird, but not a big deal.

Unplugged it all today as I had to move a big desk out, plugged it all back in and set it on another desk. No problems.

• Members

{censored} spoke too soon. Shut down my PC when I left for the gas station, returned and blue screen:

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR

0X000000A0

http://www.mydigitallife.info/fix-stop-0x000000a0-internal_power_error-when-windows-7-hibernates/

"The problem occurs because the size of the hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) size is not large or big enough to save and store current contents loading in the system RAM or memory. Windows 7, and other Windows operating system, requires equal size of hiberfil.sys hibernation cache file with system RAM memory size in order to work properly."

I didnt hibernate or sleep.

I have been letting Win 7 auto-update...

• CMS Author

{censored} spoke too soon. Shut down my PC when I left for the gas station, returned and blue screen:

Why do you keep turning off your PC? Are you trying to be PC? ;)

Mine run all the time here, though I do hibernate the netbook and the studio computer since those are the ones I use the least. I can't remember the last time I rebooted.

Really, you should try that for a couple of weeks to see if your problem is power related or if there's really something wrong in the software or hardware.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived