Chet Atkins & Leo Kottke "Sleepwalk"

GAS Man

• Members

[video=youtube;f5oExc78IKE]

Just found that little clip there and thought it was exceptional.

I just happened to run across it today because I'm starting work on Leo Kottke's "Ojo"

I decided that I want to lean Ojo because a HS/College friend of mine awed me by playing it back in the '70s.

I saw him a few years ago and he said I'd left him in the dust with my playing which didn't start until years later. Well that's not true. He's stayed acoustic and I went electric so it's a different beast.

And in my eyes, he'll always be better than me because he plays Ojo and I don't.

[video=youtube;oN73p0nIMDo]

So I decided today that I want to learn that song so I can play it at my friend's funeral in memory of his love of guitar and this song by Kottke.

Luckily for me, my friend's not dead yet so I've got some time. ;)

http://www.guitaretab.com/print_tab.php?id=9963

• Members

Good stuff. I had a friend that was a senior when I was a sophomore and Kottke was pretty high on his list. He also really liked Rick Emmitt from Triumph. Funny thing was, I knew him mostly because we both had long hair but I didn't even know he could play guitar until the talent show. He played Midsummer's Daydream and nailed it. Literally the first time I ever heard him play was the first full run through. To say I was blown away wouild be a radical understatement.

:lol:

• Members

Glad to hear your friend is not terminally ill. You had me worried for a second. :D

I had a "Kottke phase" some 25 years ago when I learned a few of his tunes. I still remember most of them and probably could play them though for some I forgot the title... (old age).

• Members

I took the body of the quote below from a PM Jkater sent me.

I thought it was too good not to share here. I hope you don't mind, but the playing is excellent and I thought it does fit well with this thread and thought the other members would enjoy listening to your playing as much as I did.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10782390

Yeah, and my friend isn't even ill as far as I know, but he lives 370 miles away and we're both in our mid-50s, so I figured I better get going. I mean, I still work on Classical Gas from time to time after all these years. :o

:thu:

:wave:

• Members

Thank you, Gas man. Much appreciated. This thread makes me want to dust off my old Kottke tunes. One piece of him I never learned but that would be a nice project for me is "Bean Time". And, unlike most of his song, it's played on an electric guitar.

Archived