I've got guitars, amps, pedals, and a laptop. What more do I need to record?

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

An interface with at least two decent preamps and phantom power is a must IMO.

Just about all the effects, mixing, etc you can do in the box for free. And lots of interfaces come with a software package anyway.

I suggest checking out reaper for a good cheap DAW.

• Members

An interface, a decent vocal mic, some monitor speakers, and a MIDI controller (not necessary but helps).

You can get decent quality demos with really modest equipment. Did I make you listen to that "When You Smile" song that I recorded a while back? I was plugging a Fender Mustang and a Badtz-Maru Bronco Bass directly into a Presonus Audiobox USB ($149), running built-in amp modelers, and then singing into an AKG Perception mic ($99 or so). Everything else was in software. My signal chain was {censored} by most standards, the sound was decent, though.

Two years later, I think I can get a much better recording but it's not because of the budget, it's because I know how to mix better now.

• Members

A dedicated hardware multitrack recorder. Most laptops arent going to have the sound qaulity of desktops with better soundcards. A processor for ready for recording tone. Whichever multin effects unit you like for creating ready for recording tone which feeds multitrack recorder/Pa/monitor speakers. Seperate pedals ussually dont feed things like mixers and multitrack recorders and Pa systems nearly as well as multi effect units in my experience. A pair of high qaulity headphones and monitor speakers. The monitor speakers can be something like pair of 10" bass combos for nice mini stereo rig or powered studio monitors like krk rockit 5's with added subwoofer. The pair of combo amps would be cheaper in most cases and can handle bass from drum machines, synths, bass guitar from drum machine or real one better then powered monitors that dont have a subwoofer while also doing excellent for guitar.

• Members

An interface,
a decent vocal mic, some monitor speakers, and a MIDI controller (not necessary but helps).

You can get decent quality demos with really modest equipment. Did I make you listen to that "When You Smile" song that I recorded a while back? I was plugging a Fender Mustang and a Badtz-Maru Bronco Bass directly into a Presonus Audiobox USB ($149), running built-in amp modelers, and then singing into an AKG Perception mic ($99 or so). Everything else was in software. My signal chain was {censored} by most standards, the sound was decent, though.

Two years later, I think I can get a much better recording but it's not because of the budget, it's because I know how to mix better now.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

tumblr_l3q9i2DxxH1qbl3z8o1_400.jpg

Forgive me for being a {censored}ing moron in this department, but what's an interface?

I've recorded some full songs, with drums and all, using garage band on a mac before. I've even gotten em to sound decent using the eq in the program, but as far as real gear goes... data is corrupted.

Oh, and yeah honey, I believe I listened. I've heard a few of your recordings and they're pretty decent sounding on the whole. That's all I'd want. I ain't tryna open up Abbey Road, just show you guys little things. Tone clips and whatnot.

• Members

decent interface, as others have said, and of course some recording software - you can actually get a pretty good one free - Audacity. However, there are a range of great options out there. Monitors are important - you can do it with good quality headphones but better to have proper monitors.

To start you off, the toneport UX1 with riffworks is a good way to get down ideas (agree with gdsmith on that), and to create layers of riffs that you can weld into compositions. However, because it works in blocks of bars of music, it can have its limitations if you fancy something more experimental, with changes of time signature, or overlapping sequences. Logic Pro on macs is really top notch, but also has so many bells and whistles it is bewildering.

Edit: just realised that you already have garageband... but no harm in trying the line 6 stuff as it is cheap, and really very effective. If you are interested in using amp models actually in the software, they are also very good in gearbox (the line 6 stuff) - I prefer them to Logic Pro's supposedly top notch models. However if you are sticking with the mac, garageband is probably fine.

Archived