Fender Classic 50's Strat - Anyone own one or have a lot of playing time on one?

BlueSky1963

• Members

I had a Daphne Blue one for a little while. Very solid instruments that sound great. However, the V neck is unique. In the end I just didn't bond with the neck, and therefore, out it went. I'd try one out locally if possible.

Is it a chunky neck? The V doesn't bother me. I actually like vintage style necks as long as they're chunky. Baseball bats preferred.

• Members

3-5-07NewGuitarWeek005.jpg

That daphne blue is my only canned pic of mine.

I really really like the tone on it. It's very resonant and sounds very classic and warmly balanced to me.

On the higher end I also own 2 Fender Deluxe, an SRV and an Eric Johnson.

But I think the '50s Classic is a very good value guitar, possibly my best value in a strat purchase.

I'm not a neck fussy person, and others here have reported not being as fond of theirs, but mine works for me.

Now I would confess that being a gear whore, I don't really have a ton of time with it. But I've never had a compaint about it. Now the Jimmie Vaughan in that same pic is a different story. With that one, I sure didn't get what all the fuss was about. It's quite ice-picky in comparison.

But sometimes it can also be the luck of the draw.

• Members

I used to have one -- it was one of the guitars that got sacrificed to help finance my Custom Shop Jeff Beck sig Strat (the other was a late '80s Strat Plus). It was a more than decent guitar (especially after the harsh, shrill, coarse stock PUs were swapped for a Kinman set -- the originals sounded the way people who don't like Strats think ALL Strats sound), but the decidedly non-rolled neck edges became somewhat uncomfortable after awhile. A mate of mine has it now, and it's his main stage guitar.

• Members

I have the daphne. I put Tex-Mex pickups and a mint guard on it. The soft V neck and vintage frets were a huge plus in my book. Love it! Stock pickups were fine, I happen to like Tex Mex almost flush with the guard. Sounds good w/ fuzz among other effects. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10808951

Hard to tell, but the mint guard looks great in person:

daphneV.jpg

Archived