A read: "25 Secret Ways to Get the Guitar Tone of Your Dreams"

GAS Man

• Members

I started in on this earlier today and thought I'd post it.

Each of the "25 Ways" has another hyperlink in it.

Brought to you by the same good folks who brought us the Ltd Ed Firebird X

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/Tone-Tips/25-secret-ways-to-get-the/

Here's a fix to the hyperlink for Tone Tips: Pickup Heights

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/pickup-height-0514-2011/

• Members

Secret # 26. Learn to play-sync to a recording of someone who has lotsa toan, like Slash. Don't tell anyone. This will be your secret.

Secret # 27. Use a coiled cord between your geetar and amp. Coiled cords produce pure vintage toan. Don't tell anyone. This will be your secret.

• Members

Funny, I used to have an orange vintage coiled cord but it was the only cord I've ever owned (including cheapos that come free with cheap guitars) that totally and completely obviously sucked tone out of the signal path. It was a very very hard thing to do, but about a year ago, I was finally able to bring myself to chuck it.

• Members

Why isn't "go to sleep" number 1? That's where the tone of my dreams is available for 8 hours every night! ;)

As for all the mumbo jumbo - what if your dream tone is some hollowed out out of phase tone with buzzy pickups - just totally lo-fi? I think steps to get your dream tone should be universal to any dream tone:

1. Find person whose tone you consider your dream tone.

2. Find out what guitar, strings, pickups, amp, pedals, settings they use.

3. Determine which pieces if the above gear contribute most to the tone.

4. Copy the parts of that setup that have the most impact.

Pretty easy actually. Sometimes it takes money (if your dream tone is a vintage Strat through a Dumble - good luck!) - but even so: get a reissue strat, get some pickups of similar specs to the originals. Find out what kind of circuit/tubes/etc make up the amp, and then find an affordable amp that has similar characteristics.

Lastly, figure out how to PLAY the tone you want. Right and left hand technique - ie how and where to pluck the string, how much pressure, left hand vibrato or other techniques, etc.

• Members

...that totally and completely obviously sucked tone out of the signal path. It was a very very hard thing to do, but about a year ago, I was finally able to bring myself to chuck it.

Also, my experience as well with a couple that I've had (albeit, briefly) about 8 or 9 years ago. They both sounded nasal-y.

Yet, last year, some Guitar Center sales yayhoo was trying to talk me into buying a $40 (orange?) Vox coiled cable to go along with a Vox AC4 that I bought from him the year before that. I already knew better. ;)

• Members

Also, my experience as well with a couple that I've had (albeit, briefly) about 8 or 9 years ago. They both sounded nasal-y.

Yet, last year, some Guitar Center sales yayhoo was trying to talk me into buying a $40 (orange?) Vox coiled cable to go along with a Vox AC4 that I bought from him the year before that. I already knew better.
;)

Yeah, that's a good way to describe mine too, i.e. nasally. The sparkly highs and chime were all gone.

Archived