HNBD - Hardtail Mahogany Strat Body.....

webwarmiller

• Members

And here are some pics with the neck fit into the pocket. This is a Squier *gasp* neck that I really like the profile of. I sanded it down to bare wood and then Danish oiled it. I also did full fret job on it including 'bulleting' the fret ends (still need to clean them up a bit). Anyway, I have to press down with just about all my weight to get the neck into the pocket. I could swing it around by the neck unbolted with virtually no worries the fit is so tight. The more I've played around with this body the happier I am with it. I'll be buying ALL my bodies from Jeff from now on.....I simply can't imagine a better product.

imagespp.jpg

imagele.jpg

imageyse.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where did you find the rest of the parts? Ferrules bridge etc...

Bridge - trickedoutguitar, eBay seller $25 shipped

Ferrules - local GC $10

500k cts long shaft pots, 3-way toggle, input jack- warmoth, $5 pots cheapest anywhere for the long shafts

On-on-on DPDT - eBay by far the cheapest at around $5 shipped for the pair

• Members

Does he sell finished bodies too? Depending on the price it might be worth it rather than refinishing my current Strat (I don't even know how many pieces this one is, 86 Japanese Fender)

I don't know, but I kinda doubt it. He's currently just joining/planing wood and then feeding it into a CNC......and is quite backed up at the moment. Finishing is a LOT more time consuming than actually making the body. Of course, I could be completely wrong and he is willing to offer some sort of finishing.

• Members

nice i'd like to see this thing completed. Nice work so far!!
:thu:

Once done I'll post a 'assembly' tread as I can't really call it a 'build' tread ;-).

What's left to do:

1. Need Vol/Tone knobs...I had some lying around but they are the import 6mm instead of the US 1/4". I could squeeze the split shafts together to get them on, but I would rather just get the correct parts

2. Need a side football jack....how I forgot to order this when ordering the other parts baffles me.

3. Waiting on tuners to arrive to Grover....had a 25 year old set where 1 had broken. They are honoring their lifetime guarantee and mailed out a new full set yesterday ;-)

4. Clamp neck into pocket, align everything (need the E tuners to get this perfect), and then drill the mounting holes (will be using threaded inserts)

5. Cut a nut for it...probably go with graphite but perhaps bone.

6. Veneer the headstock (mahogany) as the mahog body/rosewood FB/maple headstock simply looks 'off' to me. The wood tones are fighting each other to my eye.

7. Finish up the fretwork....already been leveled, crowned and fret ends 'bullet' shaped. Just need to polish them all up with micromesh...

• Members

That body looks killer with some finish on it...can't wait to see the finished product and hear how you like it!

Thanks, I'm only probably 1-2 weeks away from having it complete. It's killing me not being to play it yet. I'm probably the biggest fanboy there is for headguitars now; the quality of the body exceeded my expectations in every possible way. I've got a very traditional walnut tele on the way (only thing non-trad is 1/4" roundovers). It will be getting Rose Bourbon and Aphrodite PUPS (arrived yesterday) that Ken sold me at a ridiculous price. The neck is maple with walnut fretmakers (just need to give it an oil finish).

My affinity for these bodies is so bad that I'm seriously considering order quite a good deal more before what I'm sure is going to be a price increase in the very near future. I've got the Mahog HH sounds covered with this one, I'll have the bright/twangy tele sounds covered with that Walnut tele.......that leaves a traditional Strat and a Single Hum Floyd style and I'll be covered. Even though that only equates to 2 addt'l bodies, I'm considering buying up to 5 just to have them available....some disease this is. Just gotta talk Jeff into making necks now ;-).

I'm also starting to sell off all but a couple of my manufactured guitars......they simply have zero appeal to me now. I'll keep the Pac 921 and Charvel 3DR, but everything else will be sold OR scavenged or parts (Rogue HH has some killer Bill Turner designed PUPS for example).

FWIW, here's the Kisaeke mockup of the Mahog Strat....Kisaeke really comes in handy when helping you determine control placement, hardware color, etc. As you can see the body looks VERY close to the finished product....

mymahogstrat.jpg

• Members

Just thought I would post a pic with the pups in their routes, the bridge in its place, and a neck in the pocket (tightest pocket ever....I've got a couple of necks that are just fraction of a mm over 2 3/16th and they would need to be sanded a bit to fit)

imagelcip.jpg

Damn! I missed this thread the first time'round.

woo hoo!

That's dreamy.

• Members

Thanks, I'm only probably 1-2 weeks away from having it complete. It's killing me not being to play it yet. I'm probably the biggest fanboy there is for headguitars now; the quality of the body exceeded my expectations in every possible way. I've got a very traditional walnut tele on the way (only thing non-trad is 1/4" roundovers). It will be getting Rose Bourbon and Aphrodite PUPS (arrived yesterday) that Ken sold me at a ridiculous price. The neck is maple with walnut fretmakers (just need to give it an oil finish).

My affinity for these bodies is so bad that I'm seriously considering order quite a good deal more before what I'm sure is going to be a price increase in the very near future. I've got the Mahog HH sounds covered with this one, I'll have the bright/twangy tele sounds covered with that Walnut tele.......that leaves a traditional Strat and a Single Hum Floyd style and I'll be covered. Even though that only equates to 2 addt'l bodies, I'm considering buying up to 5 just to have them available....some disease this is. Just gotta talk Jeff into making necks now ;-).

I'm also starting to sell off all but a couple of my manufactured guitars......they simply have zero appeal to me now. I'll keep the Pac 921 and Charvel 3DR, but everything else will be sold OR scavenged or parts (Rogue HH has some killer Bill Turner designed PUPS for example).

FWIW, here's the Kisaeke mockup of the Mahog Strat....Kisaeke really comes in handy when helping you determine control placement, hardware color, etc. As you can see the body looks VERY close to the finished product....

mymahogstrat.jpg

Once again it looks great! I see that you aren't too far down the road from me...I had to look it up to see that it looks like you are in a subdivision of the Dallas area. I am really excited to see that tele body in walnut and you couldn't have gotten pickups from a nicer guy...we are lucky around here to have the likes of Ken and Brian. I will keep checking back on your progress and if you are ever in the Austin area let me know.:thu:

• Members

Nice! As you might guess from my name - ( no not the Robert part ) I'm a big fan of fatter warmer tone woods for Strats and Superstrats. ( still sound similar not a totally different thing - but can be really cool and versatile ).

Let us know how the tones are when you put it together.

No single coil in the middle ?

• 1 month later...

Archived