Digitizing Vinyl - share your tips and experiences, please!

• Members

My vinyl collection is over 10,000 pieces and I have converted quite a few of those over the past 8 years. I actually prefer the sound of the ones I converted vs. the commercial cd's.

Bless you, I'll never have the time to listen to, nor digitalize most of my vinyl. I still try to listen for new and different music, difficult as it may be sometimes.

• CMS Author

A bit OT, but if vinyl were to be played at 78 rpm recorded into the software, it would speed up the time required to digitize.

Then slow it down in software?

Bad idea on several counts. First off, most people want to know how to go the other way - play a 78 at 33 rpm because they don't have a turntable capable of running at 78 rpm.

Then there's the issue of bandwidth. Double the speed and you double the frequency. If there's some 15 kHz on the record (as there usually is on a decent LP) that would look like 30 kHz to the phono cartridge. Even if the cartridge would respond accurately to that frequency (the better ones will) that's too high to record at 44.1 kHz sample rate. You'd have to use a higher sample rate. Then you'd both have to convert the speed, which may cause some artifacts, and convert the sample rate unless you committed to playing your files at 88.2 or 96 kHz.

Not a very practical solution.

Tape duplication is (or was) done at high speed, but the player and recorder was specifically designed for the purpose and can handle the high frequencies involved.

• Members

Bless you, I'll never have the time to listen to, nor digitalize most of my vinyl. I still try to listen for new and different music, difficult as it may be sometimes.

Some of the vinyl I have you cant get on CD or via downloads. I had a guy bring me two records from the late 70's that were of radio broadcasts from the 60's. One was call "Cruisin 62" and the other was "Cruisin 61" and they are so cool. Here is a picture of one of the album covers. And also a link to a site that is dedicated to these albums.

http://leemichaelwithers.tripod.com/Cruisin62cover.JPG

http://leemichaelwithers.tripod.com/cruisin.htm

• Members

A wet vacuum cleaning device helps. (Play records dry though.) An anti-static device helps as well. Both can be found used or built from plans available on the web.

Adding gain between the phono pre-amp out and the AD in can be useful.

Turn down the volume (esp. the bass) while recording, and if you must walk near the turntable, walk gently while recording.

Record at 48k 24 bit. In the editor, use the volume control to bring the levels up to where there is some 'meat' to the waveform, but there's no need to fill the last couple of dBs. Do your noise reduction in multiple, gentle, passes. Invert the signal to hear what you're discarding, and if you can make out anything with a recognizable pattern (i.e. a beat or a melody) reduce the aggressiveness of your noise reduction settings. Don't forget to reverse the invert before actually processing. Repeat until reasonably quiet but beware of too much noise reduction. If it starts sounding lifeless, revert to a previous save. Save the entire 48k 24 bit file as your master file. Then, resample to 44.1k (still at 24 bits) and finally convert to 16 bits and save as your master CD file.

To split into tracks, start at the back. Listen to the end of the final cut and note where the run-out groove becomes audible. Mark and delete the run-out groove and anything after. Then drag the cursor from right to left until the last cut is highlighted. At 32 samples showing and with increased vertical display, find a point where you can see the beginning of the cut (toward the right) and inter-groove noise (to the left) and position the left side of the selection on a zero crossing point. Adjust the vertical magnification to allow you to do this easily. Then copy the waveform (Control + C in Sound Forge) and paste into a new panel (Control + E in Sound Forge). Save that as track 01 and close. Your original highlighting should still be there in the main panel. Zoom out so you can see the whole highlighting, grab the right hand side of the selected section and pull it over the left hand side to highlight the next-to-last song. Repeat as above, save the pasted results as 02 and continue until you reach the beginning of side two. Trim as needed. Then continue working your way backwards through side one, trimming the first cut as needed. Then, rename the files of the individual cuts if you prefer (on a 12 cut album, 01 will become 12, 02 will become 11 etc).

best,

john

• CMS Author

A wet vacuum cleaning device helps. (Play records dry though.)

Actually, playing records wet is one of the restoration techniques that's sometimes used but there's more to it than dunking a record in the sink and putting it on the turntable.

Adding gain between the phono pre-amp out and the AD in can be useful.

Record at 48k 24 bit. In the editor, use the volume control to bring the levels up to where there is some 'meat' to the waveform, but there's no need to fill the last couple of dBs. Do your noise reduction in multiple, gentle, passes.

You need to be careful with again adjustment as surface defects are often much louder than program material. If you were going to edit them out (tedious but it works) then it doesn't matter if they're clipped, but if you're going to do a pass with a click reduction program, those work better when the noise isn't clipped. Also, noise reduction programs can sometimes work better at 2x sample rate because they can get a more accurate picture of the noise if it's over a wider bandwidth. This isn't something that you should always do, but if you're going to do a top notch job, you need to treat each record as a separate project with its own set of problems.

• Members

THIS looks promising. We have a laptop running XP at home.

Here's a program that has saved me a lot of time over the years:

It automatically records each track into a separate file.

Downside: It won't let you download from a Win7 PC. It won't let you type in the artist & album name and download the song list. So, the search goes on...

Archived