Fender Custom Shop '69 or '54 pickups?

wagdog

• Members

Thinking about a new set of pickups for my green reverse headstock strat project. Looking for mostly light blues, blues, rock tones.

I've got a strat w/bg-pups v60's, which I love, my srv sig strat w/texas specials, which I also love. I'd like something a little brighter then the ts's, but with the 3D character and body both the ts's and bg's have. I don't want another set of the same pickups as I would like something different for this ax. I do like the 'tween tones a lot, and want that glassy shimmer.

Looking at the Fender Custom Shop 54's, which I've heard good things about... but I'm worried they may sound thin, and thin isn't something I want. I also like rwrp middle pickups, and the 54's are not rwrp.

From the product description, the 69's sound about what I'm looking for, and the reviews on MF seem to back them up (however I don't really trust MF product reviews in general).

So anyone tried both and have some input?

I usually use a twin or hot rod deluxe (clean channel) for an amp.

• Members

I have both sets in Strats. I really like the '54s, but find the '69s pretty meh. Thinking about selling the '69s and putting a set of Fralin Vintage Hots I just bought into that guitar. I play clean through a Twin Reverb.

If you do decide to sell the 69's, pm me - maybe we can work something out. I'm mostly playing through my twin project amp.

• Members

The '54s are quite far off the pickups they were designed to impersonate. They are Alnico 5 (and has the typical sensing characterstics of this alloy - major fail) whereas the original ones are Alnico 2 and sweeter sounding by far.

I guess. OTOH, The CS '54's are the best sounding strat pickups I've ever used. Great cleans, chime, bell like tones. Everything a strat is supposed to sound like.

I guess I just saved myself $25K by not buying a real one. :facepalm:

Archived