NGD - Joining the white strat club

grumphh

• Members

I really like white guitars, especially Fenders. I'm more fond of a creamy vintage off-white than the real stark bright white, but either will do. Yours looks great (and congrats!)

It looks great now, but mint pickguards look great on white and one of my favorite Fender color combos is white with a red tortoise pickguard and rw neck.

• Members

...as long as it's not plywood (which can actually sound pretty good - but nevertheless...)

I never really understood the hate for plywood (technically "laminated" wood) guitars.

I realize that kind of construction is often a hallmark of poorly-made el-cheapos (perhaps that's where the stigma comes from), but I've owned some that were really good.

• Members

First, thx again all :)

I really like white guitars, especially Fenders. I'm more fond of a creamy vintage off-white than the real stark bright white, but either will do. Yours looks great (and congrats!)

It looks great now, but mint pickguards look great on white and one of my favorite Fender color combos is white with a red tortoise pickguard and rw neck.

I'm just a true conservative when it comes to guitars - basically, if the factory chose a certain look why would i want to change it?

(I am the type of person who also leaves the pickguards on his LP's ;) )

....also, "personalising" a guitar doesn't mean much when the production range is in the 100.000 a year range (as i believe mim's are) and aftermarket parts are a dime a dozen.

I am not so much concerned about the value - but to me it just seems unnecessary, because, basically there are bound to be thousands of identical "personalised" guitars out there, because people often go for the same looks.

Off for allen keys now!

Have a nice day, all :)

• Members

Ok, so what does it sound like?

Just got time to set it up with the exception of intonation (who apart from anal retentives needs precise tuning anyway, eh?) and put down some two hours of playing/adjusting pickups, now that the strings have settled.

Resume:
It basically sounds like one would expect a mexican strat to sound after reading hundreds of online reviews. Not bad, but not great either.
It does the strat sounds it is supposed to, but it just doesn't have that extra bit that would separate it from the rest of generic sounding strats.

Do not get me wrong - it is by no means a bad guitar, and great music can be made with this (by people more talented than me) but it wouldn't be the "one you wouldn't sell".

Details / differences from the black one:
First of all, i think i was really lucky to get that black strat - because in a 1-on-1 comparison the black one just sounds better. That one is one of the keepers. No selling the black one for me. (And don't worry, i'll keep the white one too - they do look good next to each other :D)

the obvious difference is of course the rosewood fretboard and the thing you can't see, namely that the white is a bit heavier than the black one.
Not seventies heavy, but i'd guess that it would fit square in the "average strat weight" camp where the white feels almost toylike when you pick it up.
The frets (fretwork is great btw no edges or anything) on the white are slightly more worn than the blacks, otherwise the hardware is identical, all standard mex parts, and the setup is fairly similar as well. I set guitars up by feel/eyesight so probably not exactly the same, but definitely close enough for comparison. Pickup height is adjusted as closely to where i have the blacks pickups as i could do by eyesight.

Ok: The sustain is very good - i have my strings fairly high for that exact reason- and it does ring out like it should. No problems there.
The tone is also nice but differs from the black strat in that it is less defined and can tend to be slightly bassy with some lack of high mid range (
The most audible difference is that the bridge pickup does have that sharp trebly sound that many people dislike (for good reason) where the bridge pickup on the black one just sounds like it should, i.e. biting but not grating.
The same goes for the other pickups, but less noticeable because edgy highs don't translate into that slightly screechy sound on the middle and neck pu's.

In between sounds are good as well, it quacks like a strat (surprise, eh?), but for some reason the combined pu's don't sound quite as bell-like as they do on the black one.

All in all, a slightly more woolly and less percussive tone than the blacks tone, but a nice playable guitar that just does not really have an individual personality.
Yet... :D

Now, this is only the first day of playing it - as time goes by strings will settle more, i will finish the intonation and probably spend the next few weeks doing fine adjustments to the pickups and so on.

But the first impression is definitely that this is not going to be my "strat no. 1" but rather the backup that i'll grab every once in a while.

...i'm still happy i bought it though - it is by no means an unusable guitar, it just doesn't meet the bar the black one set :)

• Members

Thx again :)

Congrats! I found my white Strat at the end of the rainbow:

:thu: Who needs more than 21 frets anyway?

And that looks as if it has some serious tone mangling options - what is that long thing near the bridge? Accoustic PU or midi - or something entirely else?

• Members
:eek:

I'm taking my words back.

I have spent the afternoon messing around with this guitar - finetuning things and getting a setup that more accurately follows the blacks specs.
Just going by feel obviously wasn't enough - :facepalm: at me trusting myself - but taking a few measurements here and there helped enormously.

And the tone is now much more similar to the black ones, i.e. a worthy strat tone. Including the bridge pickup :eek:

...maybe the strings finally settling down and loosing the first brightness has helped, maybe the setup - but one thing is certain, the pickups and their distance from the strings play an enormous role in the tone of this guitar.

Conclusion: I have bought another nice sounding guitar at a bargain price :)

If i get around to it i plan to change strings on the black one and do some comparison clips.

...but if i were a Marvel action hero my name would be The Procrastinator, so don't count on it happening soon...

Archived