Guitars/Guitar Things You Just Don't Like

JSynthGuitarMan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have more issues with guitarists/musicians than I do with any guitar. So many (especially the younger ones) think they have to be freaks to be artistic.
:rolleyes:
I just don't get it.

One day ugly is going to go out of style and they aren't going to be able to make the change.
:D

there will always be more ugly people than there are beautiful people. ugly will never go out of style.

• Members

V's

F or any hole'd semi hollow

EMG's, or any active pickup for that matter

Telecasters

Explorers

Most Ibanez's

Single pickup guitars

4 pickup guitars

Gibson tuners

Any color that isn't raw, cherry, black, blue or sunburst

7-ways

Anything with more than 5 knobs/switches (Yes Airlines and newer Jaguars, I'm talking about you)

Bolt-on necks

"Road Worn"

Most quilted finishes (even though I just bought a Carvin with a quilt, it's the first I've ever liked).

Single coils in a bridge position

Jacks on the front face. God I :facepalm: at that. What a terrible, terrible spot to put a jack. Who the {censored} started that?

Abalone and Mother of Pearl

Trapezoid, triangle, vine, and just really stupid inlays in general. Dots and boxes FTW. And I don't mind the PRS birds actually

Pointy headstocks

• Members

As some people have already mentioned, I don't like Bigsbys either, or the F holes, or Gold Hardware and guitars with one pickup...

I hate Epiphones too...

How can you not like a JEM, a Strat or a Tele... Awesome guitars... The handle is great on the JEM, very convenient when carrying it around... :)

• Members

Because you had to ask. Tele's are fine. Strats are Teles with a bunch of unnecessary features.

As for JEM:

THERE'S A HOLE IN YER GUITAR! WHY'D YA GOTTA GO AND PUT A HOLE THROUGH YER GEETAR!?! WADDERYA CRAZY?? DID YA TAKE THE DOORS OFF YER CAR TOO??

Seriously though, I appreciate "quirks," but I couldn't think of a less necessary one than the "monkey grip."

• Members

Because you had to ask. Tele's are fine. Strats are Teles with a bunch of unnecessary features.

As for JEM:

THERE'S A HOLE IN YER GUITAR! WHY'D YA GOTTA GO AND PUT A HOLE THROUGH YER GEETAR!?! WADDERYA CRAZY?? DID YA TAKE THE DOORS OFF YER CAR TOO??

Seriously though, I appreciate "quirks," but I couldn't think of a less necessary one than the "monkey grip."

Don't think of it so much as a hole but as a nice comfortable place to put your hand when you are moving the guitar... :) Strats are Teles with unnecessary features??? I didn't know that at all, thanks for straightening me out... :)

• Members

why have more than you need though. I only have one on my strat, get all my tones from my playing style.

Because maybe, just maybe, someday you may want to use it for different tones or simply break out of a genre and try another. You can play a guitar with only one pup turned on or wired as you prefer it and it's the same thing. Why limit the instrument? It's like only using four strings and cutting two off because they get in the way (yeah, I know some guys play with five Keith) and then getting rid of the unused tuners as well, so every one could see you don't use all the strings..

Right now, one pup guitars are a very "look at me", the way pointy guitars with skulls on them were before they became child toys. There have even been threads here about guys asking what to do with the hole once they got rid of the tone control. Jezz! Just leave the disconnected pot and knob there... oh no... because no one would be able to see I'm so hardcore and I'm not using a tone knob!

I have no doubt you can wail and tear it up on your one pup guitar but I'm pretty sure you could play just as well on two pups or three but of course, no one would be able to see you only use one.

• Members

Because maybe, just maybe, someday you may want to use it for different tones or simply break out of a genre and try another. You can play a guitar with only one pup turned on or wired as you prefer it and it's the same thing. Why limit the instrument? It's like only using four strings and cutting two off because they get in the way (yeah, I know some guys play with five Keith) and then getting rid of the unused tuners as well, so every one could
see
you don't use all the strings..

Right now, one pup guitars are a very "look at me", the way pointy guitars with skulls on them were before they became child toys. There have even been threads here about guys asking what to do with the hole once they got rid of the tone control. Jezz! Just leave the disconnected pot and knob there... oh no... because no one would be able to
see
I'm so hardcore and I'm not using a tone knob!

I have no doubt you can wail and tear it up on your one pup guitar but I'm pretty sure you could play just as well on two pups or three but of course, no one would be able to
see
you only use one.

I dont do it to prove how raw or talented i am, for me its a practicality thing, i dont use the neck pick-up so i wasnt going to fork out to put a matching Seymour Duncan into it, i dont use the tone controls so i dont have have them, its as much a cost saving excercise as it is a practical thing. My guitars a work horse and for the band i play in i only need one sound from my guitar, i'm intending on breaking any genre boundries and i dont need to constantly tweak my sound while playing.

I dont hate guitars with more than one pick-up, i love classic Strats and Les Pauls, but for me less is more, its not a show off thing or bragging rights, its just something i prefer!

• Members

The typical PRS. Like todays GPOTD. Cant really put my finger on it, but I just dont gas for these.

p1_u151efazo_so.jpg

Pardon my french, but that is one ugly ass guitar. Something about the everything, combined with that color.

i dislike most 2-3 thousand dollar guitars.

i've set up my yamaha's pos floating tremelo to play nicer that any guitar i've ever played. i love its cheap ass maple neck, the rosewood board, and the frets that are flat from 15 years of abuse.

yamaha's copy of ibanez rg, hell i'd buy six of them before i'd drop four figures on another guitar

Archived