Blown away I am...

Jkater

• Members

I may have said this before about Tommy Emmanuel, but if I sometimes feel I've got the hang of this guitar playing stuff, I watch a few of his videos to regain perspective :-)

The Amazing Grace rendition is just wonderful, both moving as a piece of music as well as "f*cking hell, I didn't know that was actually possible on an acoustic".

• Members

I may have said this before about Tommy Emmanuel, but if I sometimes feel I've got the hang of this guitar playing stuff, I watch a few of his videos to regain perspective :-)

He may just be one of the greatest guitar players ever. My opinion of course, but I am completely blown away by his talent and skill. A true master of the instrument and an amazing entertainer as well.

• Members

I feel like I could learn that song from that vid alone. It's well shown and explained and I can see his fingers and what they do. This might be a more accessible and playable piece by TE, one we can hope to be able to play. I'm gonna give it a good shot and report.

• Members
I feel like I could learn that song from that vid alone. It's well shown and explained and I can see his fingers and what they do. This might be a more accessible and playable piece by TE, one we can hope to be able to play. I'm gonna give it a good shot and report.

:freak::freak::freak::freak:

I never could even begin...

:cry:

Looking forward to the clips Richard :wave:

• Members
:freak:

I never could even begin...

:cry:

Looking forward to the clips Richard
:wave:

:D

The key is to begin... then you never know where you can get. Usually further than you thought you would. That's been my experience. Most TE pieces I wouldn't bother to try so, yes, that mean I wouldn't begin either, knowing I don't have the skills to pull it off. But this is very smooth and melodic and somehow less "acrobatic" than his usual stuff. And I love the piece and that's another key.

I wouldn't mind having a tab. That would save me some time and I could get to work right away.

• Members

:D

The key is to begin... then you never know where you can get.

+1000000

I started to dismantle that 12 bar blues I posted yesterday. I will never, ever, come remotely close to playing it like him, but after about an hour I managed to pull some licks out of it - and that's gotta be worth something!

• Members

I've got the first verse down, not up to speed though. I"ll start the bridge tonight. The video is a serious help though.

• Members
I've got the first verse down, not up to speed though. I"ll start the bridge tonight. The video is a serious help though.

:thu:

I'll have time today after work to start on it. Might even post a "progress report" short clip. Speaking of speed, I like the tempo where he demonstrates it.

• Members

:thu:

I'll have time today after work to start on it. Might even post a "progress report" short clip. Speaking of speed, I like the tempo where he demonstrates it.

Yup that's what I'm at. I'll start the bridge tomorrow, worked on other stuff tonight. What'll you be playing this on? I'm doing it on my Yamaha C-40 classical, very different tone, doesn't detract from the beauty

• Members

Yup that's what I'm at. I'll start the bridge tomorrow, worked on other stuff tonight. What'll you be playing this on? I'm doing it on my Yamaha C-40 classical, very different tone, doesn't detract from the beauty

I'll be using my Larrivée or Bénéteau.

• Members

LOVE Tommy's playing! He can take a (what is for me) blah song like "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", and make it sound special! :thu: Oh yeah, and he always looks like he's having fun when he's playing! :thu::thu:

Here's a great number he does with John Jorgenson. It's some cool gypsy jazz!

[video=youtube;5XK-wzrLpNo]

• Members

What sets Tommy E apart imho is his ability to keep it musical at all times. There are a LOT of players out there with tremendous facility, but far fewer who apply that to make good music rather than showing off.

Well put. And his music, like poetry, is not about being technical but about touching people. Even when he plays something simple, it is powerful. While many of his songs are very difficult to play, the song in the original post is not his most difficult technically, albeit totally brillant. Many of us could play it well enough to be recognisable. But it "tells a story" as the saying goes and that's one of TE's greatest gift.

Archived