When somebody is selling a pre-CBS fender...

goatman

• Members

I remember when eBay first hit the scene and some guy was selling a pre-CBS strat for 5k and I was like "that is absolutely ridiculous!". Oh how far we've come.

But yeah, it seems like you could relic anything and copy anything. Every detail can be copied technically, it's just having the knowledge and expertise to do it.

• Members

I am not an expert by any means - this is pure conjecture on my part.

I would think that a '57 strat from 1957 would be sold at Mandolin Brothers or some such place, not on eBay.

I'm not sure if the 1957 model still had the ceramic pickup covers or not but if it did, I think they would be worn if it was played enough for the fingerboard to look like that.

• Members

As far as custom shop relics vs the 'real deal', you cant really tell the difference from a picture. Im not an expert either but here are some of my opinions.

-Like onelife said, the fingerboard is really worn. I would expect the rest of the guitar to look the same.

-The tone and volume knobs look new. Mayber they were replaced.

-The nut looks worn so maybe its not a relic.

-I do see this kinda thing on ebay a lot. They're a legit store. Ebay is just good cheap advertising. The transaction probably wouldnt be done throught ebay anyway.

The only one that really know would be an expert holding that guitar in his hands.

• Members

I would think that a '57 strat from 1957 would be sold at Mandolin Brothers or some such place, not on eBay.

It's actually being sold by Ishibashi. Do a search on them here or on other forums - they've got a sterling reputation.

I can certainly understand why they're branching out to ebay. They've done huge business shipping overseas in the last couple of years.

• Members

damn thats a nice strat! and I dont even like strats...I think you cant tell if its 100% without examining it in person (or having someone like Gruhns do it for you), but you could tell by pics certain things that are fake, and If you spot something fake then the whole thing would be suspect. Usually people selling >$30,000 guitars will put up plane tickets for you to come view it. Its a little more involved than say buying a Squier on Craigslist.

• Members

Frankly, coming from Tokyo, I wouldn't touch it at 1/10 of that money.

Some of the richest collectors in the world are in Japan, I wouldn't exclude it from being authentic merely by being from Japan. Hell, if you're spending $80k+ on a guitar, you can afford to fly to Japan to visually inspect it prior to final purchase anyway.

That said, I'd never spend that kind of money on ANY guitar.

• Members

um...I'm no expert, but did REAL '57 strats have "original contour body" printed on the headstock?

Frankly, coming from Tokyo, I wouldn't touch it at 1/10 of that money.

...to a point I agree, but the japanese spent alot of money buying up pre-CBS strats and 58-60 les pauls back in the '80s and '90s, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a real vintage instrument being sold there...

...but I don't think this is one of them...

• Members

It's actually being sold by Ishibashi. Do a search on them here or on other forums - they've got a sterling reputation.

I can certainly understand why they're branching out to ebay. They've done huge business shipping overseas in the last couple of years.

Yep...lot of ignorance on this board.

If ishibashi says it's real you can bet your ass it will be. Not to mention the fact that there are TONS of vintage Fenders and Gibsons in Japan as the collectors there were some of the FIRST to recognize the value of them back in the 80's. When I was in Japan in February I saw a bunch of legit 50's and 60's Fender's and Gibson's.

• Moderators

um...I'm no expert, but did REAL '57 strats have "original contour body" printed on the headstock?

Yes,

dstrat.jpg

Theres every chance this is an authentic guitar, but in reality telling a genuine pre CBS Fender from a well executed fake is nigh on impossible without bombproof documented provenance....faking pre CBS Fenders is very simple if you know the basics, and you can get the right pots;)

• Members

I'm not sure I'd ever buy a $2,000-plus vintage guitar on eBay unless it's from a very established seller with a storefront operation.

I've bought several guitars on eBay, and I think eBay is great for some things. But I've never paid more than $500 for a guitar on eBay.

• Members

That's exactly what this is.

Then I retract my very negative opinion of this guitar. Ishibashi is a very well known dealer and I seriously doubt they'd risk that reputation on fraud of this level. I'd still inspect every square inch of it personally, or pay someone like George Gruhn to do it for me if I wasn't qualified to authenticate it (which I am not..) I'm surprised a 1957 is worth that much though. I though the vintage market had gone to poop?

• Members

Then I retract my very negative opinion of this guitar. Ishibashi is a very well known dealer and I seriously doubt they'd risk that reputation on fraud of this level. I'd still inspect every square inch of it personally, or pay someone like George Gruhn to do it for me if I wasn't qualified to authenticate it (which I am not..) I'm surprised a 1957 is worth that much though. I though the vintage market had gone to poop?

I'm nearly positive if it did turn out to be a fake they would refund you the money. I would also want to be sure as well.

As for the price it remains to be seen if they can get that much. But weren't those very early year strats going for around 150k at the peak of the hype? Maybe that IS the discount...lol. It does seem pricey though.

maybe the vintage market in japan is still a little stronger...I don't know.

Archived