Wow! Avid Sells Consumer Audio, Video Divisions

• Members

In my opinion that kind of uncertainty is bad for Avid customers and thus bad for Avid. Who will plunk down 5 figures on an AAX system when you don't even know if Avid will be around in a year? If their new high-end audio platform is a dud, they are in big trouble. And telegraphing this kind of instability makes it more likely that it will be a dud.

Wall Street likes the announcement, though. Avid stock has gone up a lot in the past few days.

• Members

Wall Street likes the announcement, though. Avid stock has gone up a lot in the past few days.

Look at the stock price over the last 5 years...

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AVID+Interactive#symbol=avid;range=5y;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

I think that's the real story, if there's a story in the stock price at all. What do investors know about DAWs?

• Members

For anyone wondering how the deal affects Sibelius:

Sibelius software's London offices to close

A user in a MusicPlayer forum posted this about that:

They are saying over at Sibelius that they are shifting the Sibelius coding operations from England to Kiev.

And reportedly, Sibelius's former staff left the following automated response as they departed:

Out of office

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The comment about AVID still seeing thins from 1992 vision is pretty right-on because for $80. one can get DAW REAPER, which does pretty much all pro Tools can and more without all the headaches AND Reaper actually will give you support, not as AVID has been approaching "support"...the home studio musician in this still dire economy can't easily pay a few thousand US$ for a DAW PC that AVID "officially states is compatible"...when I filled out all the support fields and forms for AVID, part of that was wanting very detailed info on the computer, video card, etc, and if for ANY reason they DEEM your DAW PC to not be FULLY compat with their Pro Tools, absolutely NO SUPPORT! I think AVID has also made a huge mistake keeping PT software for most part propriatorial with RTAS format when there's awesome VST/AU's software we are unable to use under a very expensive PT AND AVID kicks sand in your face each time they have an update they ask for even more cash!! Looks like I will be sticking with Reaper since I mainly use all hardware synths anyway with no need for virtual software and just hope Numark will be able to support Hypercontrol on the M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 controller, which finally hit the mark...actually forgave them for the snow white color!

• CMS Author

The comment about AVID still seeing thins from 1992 vision is pretty right-on because for $80. one can get DAW REAPER, which does pretty much all pro Tools can and more without all the headaches

The one thing that Reaper doesn't give you is the Pro Tools name on your door. This doesn't usually matter to the individual recording musician, but if you're going to be offering recording services to others, remember that a whole lot of projects are done in multiple studios. This can even be a project recording of your own band. If everyone in the band has Reaper, fine. You can pass around the project and each member can work on is individual parts in his own studio without a lot of fussing around, importing, synchronization, and exporting files. But if somebody has Sonar, and somebody has Logic, and somebody has Audition, and the drummer has Tracktion, you have a mess. Those are all perfectly capable programs on their own, but collaboration goes to pot.

But if everybody has Pro Tools, it's all one big happy family. It's the big elephant in the room that you can't ignore unless you ignore everybody who doesn't work exclusively in your studio.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Any newer ideas wheter Venom is gonna survive? It seems to go for dump prices, I almost feel obligated to warn people as you will buy a product that is close to worthless from the moment you buy it. Or at least, if you want to use it for what it is ment to be used.

• Members

Any newer ideas wheter Venom is gonna survive?

I wish I knew...

It seems to go for dump prices, I almost feel obligated to warn people as you will buy a product that is close to worthless from the moment you buy it. Or at least, if you want to use it for what it is meant to be used.

Just out of curiosity...why "worthless"? I still use it all the time. The editor still works, it still sounds cool, etc. The only real problem I see is not being able to use it as a plug-in, like you can do with Korg and other synths, and was supposed to happen with the updated editor/librarian. So, I'll just keep using the audio I/O if I want those sounds.

Archived