Anybody like the Samick "Artist Series" SG copy?

Humbucker

• Members

There's a used made-in-Korea Samick SG at a pawnshop in my neighbourhood, I'm guessing that it's appx.7-8 years old and it's going for $250.00 (Canadian) and the case is included.

It seems like a pretty decent guitar, I was just wondering if anybody here has anything good to say about these Samick guitars.

• Members

Well, the guys at the pawnshop loaned me this guitar so that I can try it out for a couple of days and I gotta tell ya I'm liking this guitar more and more. Very well made for a budget guitar, a set neck, nice fret work and trapezoid inlays and decent binding on neck are really good too. I haven't had a chance to play it through a loud amp yet but I'll do that tomorrow, that'll be the real test. It just feels right and doesn't feel cheap.

I'm going to trade in three stompboxes that I've no real use for so I won't be out any money.

I'll post an update tomorrow if anybody is interested.

• Members

Well, I've spent several hours this weekend potting the squealing pickups and doing a complete clean-up, setup and also put on some high quality tuners too. Man, this guitar doesn't sound or feel cheap at all now!

I've tried numerous SG copies during this last week, Epiphone, Jay Turser, etc...and this particular Samick SG with mods puts them all to shame, not even in the same league. I'm very happy with my find, it'll make a great gigging guitar.

• Members

I've got 2 Greg Bennetts, an AV-6 and a UM-3 and like both of them fine. Though the tone pots in the AV-6 are shot to hell, even tried cleaning the crap out of them, no dice.

Necks are fast though they are a little bit smaller in radius than I wanted. The Duncan design pups aren't bad though I think that waxing them would help a little bit. For the money they are a great guitar IMHO.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

There's a used made-in-Korea Samick SG at a pawnshop in my neighbourhood, I'm guessing that it's appx.7-8 years old and it's going for $250.00 (Canadian) and the case is included.

It seems like a pretty decent guitar, I was just wondering if anybody here has anything good to say about these Samick guitars.

yeah i actually own this exact guitar ive owned it for almost thre years now, samick is an excellent brand of guitar there wellmade they sound amazing i highly recommend this guitar.

• Members

I have the 335 style artist series. It plays great, I had to do a lot of work to mine, and im in the process of finally replacing all the wiring and pots. Its well built, mines at least 12 years old and theres nothing structerally wrong with it. Still has a nice bow relief and everything. My frets are starting to wear a bit, but thats only a testimate to the playability and enjoyment you'll sow out of yours. I wish I could find one in even better shape then my personally refurbished model, but I'm probably just going to get one of the Epi Elitist 335

• Members

From my own research and what I've read on this forum, the Artist series marked a point where Samick was producing Epiphone (considered good years for the brand). While doing this Samick also produced the Artist series to compete with the brands that they were building for, and one would think they would have enough smarts to outdo the competition (essentially themselves). I've only read good to great reviews on the Artist series. On paper, that SG should be an overall great guitar with only the pickups falling short... easy fix.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I see that this is an old thread, but that is how I found this forum. I bought an older Samick Artist Series SG about 4 months ago and IMHO it is second only to a Gibson. I have also recently purchased a Gibson 490R and 498T to install. I have high hopes, but I really don't know how much better it will be.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I have a Samick Artist series SG from the 1990's, and it a very well made guitar. Great pickups from the factory, quality wood and workmanship. I sold my Epiphone SG a few months ago because the Samick is so much better the Epi never got played.

mark

• 8 years later...

Archived