Pics of strat trem setup that really works

_pete_

• Members

A few days ago I posted this thread.

I setup my 93 MIM Strat like he said and I'll be damned if it doesn't stay in tune great now.

I can dive or pull up or shake the hell out of the bar and it holds tune great. Every once in a while it will go out slightly but a quick yank up on the bar puts it right in tune. A little work on the nut should take care of that problem.

The 2 outside screws are adjusted out far enough to let the bridge pivot freely and the 4 inner screws are all adjusted a little higher so they don't bind. The downside is that initial tuning is a like tuning a floating Floyd. I don't have a problem with that but I know many of you do. It's nice to use the bar and stay in tune though.

Here's pics of how it ended up.

setup1.jpg

setup2.jpg

setup3.jpg

setup4.jpg

• Members

That's pretty much how every Fender comes from Fender. All have that amount of up pull. But Fender has the screws even, which I prefer, it's more solid. I don't angle the trem claw like that. I angle the two outer springs though. I get the tension I want that way. My strats all return to pitch really well. People think I'm nuts 'till I let 'em try it. Just pick up a regular stock strat just in from Fender, before anybody startin' messin with it, tune and stretch, and it will stay great. They "usually" set them up well.

• Members

I just setup my strat like that (along with a nice brown pearl pickguard change :D) and it is doing very well right now even with brand new strings. I'm still playing to some furious backing tracks and trying to get these strings out of whack but they seem to be within a cent or two every time I check it again.

:thu: to angled strat setups. I also loosened the middle 4 screws and the outside two a little on the bridge.

• Members

Yeah I think so. Plus having the six screws making contact is what that trem is all about. More contact points, and it still stays in tune fine. I just like it because I can give it extreme abuse. If it's just the two screws, I'd be a little more leary of the abuse.

• Members

On mine the 4 center screws are still there and touching the bridge but they're backed out about a 1/4 turn more than the outer 2 so the screw heads don't impede travel. I've got a Callaham steel block and stainless screws in it and does improve the sound a bit. The s/s screws are pretty strong too.

• Members

Here's something I can't figure out....why does it help to have the treble side looser when the treble side exerts more tension? I would think that the right "balance" would be more string tension for the treble side, not less, but your experience and Carl Verheyen's method both say looser on the treble side.

Any thoughts as to why this works?

Wes

• Members

originally posted by wes37

Here's something I can't figure out....why does it help to have the treble side looser when the treble side exerts more tension? I would think that the right "balance" would be more string tension for the treble side, not less, but your experience and Carl Verheyen's method both say looser on the treble side.

Any thoughts as to why this works?

Wes

that doesn't make any sense to me either

edit: nevermind, yes it does

• Members

Originally posted by bluesbreaker46

that doesn't make any sense to me either

edit: nevermind, yes it does

Because the treble srtings are exerting more force on the trem the the bass strings. The bass strings don't have to be so tight because they are thicker and require less force to stay in tune.

• Members

Originally posted by vintage clubber

So with that set up, is there no wobble in the trem when you bend a string?
:confused:

I don't notice any.

It's not as noticeable as doing double stop bends with a Floyd. It does it to a much lesser degree.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Cool. The vintage trem gets a lot of crap for being unreliable, but when you get it right it can be very, very good. I bet this post will help some people.

I have mine set to just about rest on the body, but I can still pull up the bar about a quarter step or so, so it ins't sitting on the body. I can tremolo pretty well with it, and it stays in tune. A bandmate of mine helped me set it up, and told me the real key is to get the string tension and spring tension balanced, and to keep the inner screws tighter than the outer screws, which work like the 'posts' in a floyd type trem. It seems to work really well on both of my vintage trem strats.

• Members

when this thread was published, I pretty much had all my trems blocked and didn't use them. I use mine now, but do use a different set-up technique than pictured here. In my set up, the trem remains flush to the body and I do set the springs differently. My strats all stay pretty well in tune with light trem usage. I don't do any dive bombing though...:o

IMG_4716.jpg

• Members

nice post. I saw a YouTube video from some famous strat player. Can't remember the name - old school guy. Any way, I tried the slanted claw and its awesome. Slanted claw evens out the tension between the large and small strings. Also with a straight claw and a floating trem you won't get a even musical tone if you pull all the way up on the bar. Way mine is set, I get a whole tone on strings 4-6 and a half tone on strings 1-3 when I pull the bar all the way. Stays in tune a heck of a lot better too.

• Members

That set-up appears to be pretty much exactly what Dan Erlewine describes in his book The Guitar Player repair guide.

I'm not surprised that it works...!

nice post. I saw a YouTube video from some famous strat player. Can't remember the name - old school guy. Any way, I tried the slanted claw and its awesome. Slanted claw evens out the tension between the large and small strings. Also with a straight claw and a floating trem you won't get a even musical tone if you pull all the way up on the bar. Way mine is set, I get a whole tone on strings 4-6 and a half tone on strings 1-3 when I pull the bar all the way. Stays in tune a heck of a lot better too.

If he Trem system pivots on either the screws or the two posts, those won't allow for any twisting of the bridge or block. The springs are hooked to the tone block and theres a pretty straight pull there. Can you explain how having how the claw biased to one side, helps keep the guitar in tune?

It appears as if the extra spring tension on the bass side would get evenly distributed to the entire bridge. Is your bridge twisting?

Archived