Any idea why Fender and Guitar Center are trying to bang out Am Standard Strats?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I'm just curious why these two companies are trying so hard to sell the American Standard Strats. You can easily get one for $899 right now and I think someone on here got one for $740 out the door at guitar center after rebates and discount.

I wish I had some spare money right because $799 for an American Standard is a freaking awesome good deal.

Anyways just wondering what the reasoning is? And why is it only the Am Standards? why not the Am Deluxe Strats?

• Members

It's probably too many guitars chasing not enough money.

In many, if not most cases, the Fenders that you see in the music stores are actually owned by Fender, so when you see a major price drop, it's because Fender needs to move some guitars out of inventory, to avoid laying off workers or just to balance the books.

Those discounts can also be seen as an indication of how much profit is built into every guitar. Fender isn't losing money on your purchase. It's more like they're taking a bit less profit for a little while, before rearranging production numbers and pushing prices up again .

Theres no way to tell what the new Chinese instruments might have to do with this but if you think about it, Fender has really fattened up their offerings during the last couple of years, while theyve also sold a huge number of American Standards, so there are lots of new and used guitars floating around and what looks like a lot more coming.

Thats my speculation anyway...

• Members

The rebates are available through all Fender dealers. Don't think it is availability, unless the reps are lying to us. I work at a small store that is a Fender dealer and we actually haven't been able to order US-made stuff for a while now because stock has been low and bigger buyers are getting precedent. Also, don't think they're hurting in general. According to a couple of reps I've talked to, Fender is actually selling more guitars now than they ever have.

• Members

...we actually haven't been able to order US-made stuff for a while now

My guess is that there is probably a "new" and so far unannounced American Standard model Strats, Teles, basses, etc scheduled to be released in the first or second quarter of 2012.

Fender came out with a "new" American Standard models in, what, 2006 or 2007? It may be that time again. Baked maple necks or fretboards coming? Just a guess.

• Members

Have had a particular deluxe on order for over 6 months. Fender just don't have the inventory to satisfy everyone and the box box guys get first crack at what is available. Even so it is fairly rare to see one hangin on a wall in GC. On the other hand Standards, Specials and Mexis are available just about anywhere you see a Fender logo.

BTW to the OP who asked about the Deluxe... There is quite a lot of difference between the DLX and STD. Locking tuners, noiseless pickups, S3 switching, LSR roller nut on the HSS model, different available colors, yada yada.

Archived