Found my tone but can't get it live!

burton4snow

• Members

I have an Blackstar HT5 head and it sounds stellar through headphones but I can not seem to get that tone out of my cab. I do not have a matching cab I have a Lopo cab with a WGS veteran 30. THe tone sounds like it is muddy and too bassy comming out of the cab whereas the headphones are crisp and clear the right amount of everything. Would getting a Blackstar cab do the trick? Is just the acoustics of my small room? What are some suggestions on what I could do?

• Members

I'm sure the Lopo cab is fine. I'd swap the speaker. The cab should always sound at least as good as the line output. If it doesn't, there's something wrong.

Just as a point of reference, I paired my HT-5 head with a 16-ohm Greenback so I could get early breakup. I wanted to get anywhere from a 60s hard rock sound to 90s metal, and it does that. I hardly ever plug in the phones anymore, to be honest.

• Members

I'm sure the Lopo cab is fine. I'd swap the speaker. The cab should always sound at least as good as the line output. If it doesn't, there's something wrong.

Just as a point of reference, I paired my HT-5 head with a 16-ohm Greenback so I could get early breakup. I wanted to get anywhere from a 60s hard rock sound to 90s metal, and it does that. I hardly ever plug in the phones anymore, to be honest.

What kind of Greenback? Celestion? Do you have an open or closed back cab.

• Members

you could buy a speaker that is voiced to be brighter than what you have now.

What tend to be some brighter speakers. I went with the WGS Veteran 30s because they where described as a Vintage 30 without the midrange hump. I haave a Vintage 30 in another cab and A/B them and the Veteran sounded better but still not there. So maybe I do need to try another speaker.

• Members

What tend to be some brighter speakers. I went with the WGS Veteran 30s because they where described as a Vintage 30 without the midrange hump. I haave a Vintage 30 in another cab and A/B them and the Veteran sounded better but still not there. So maybe I do need to try another speaker.

Now that's surprising. I thought the V30 would be a really good choice for the HT-5. In fact, I think others have used V30s with it and got good results.

• Members

Now that's surprising. I thought the V30 would be a really good choice for the HT-5. In fact, I think others have used V30s with it and got good results.

It could just be the acoustics of the room! I have this problem with all my amps. Its like there is too much bass. It gets real flabby. Somebody once sugested a BBE sonic stomp.

• Members

This thread topic is odd to me because I think electric guitar sounds lousy through headphones. I do play though headphones when I have to but I've never thought a headphone sound bested any of my speaker cabinets.

In general, pull the speaker away from the wall and into the center of the room. Elevate the speaker on a stand if possible so that it comes closer to ear level when you play.

I used to own an HT5 and I think the sound is a bit dark. It even sounded dull through my 112 cab loaded with a Celestion Alnico Blue. I was able to brighten up the HT5 with an Xotic RC Booster out front, but at ~$170, that's probably not the solution you're looking for with a budget amp.

The HT5 is almost like a mini JCM 800. Many people swear by boosting the JCM 800 with a good old tube screamer. Depending on what you're looking for, a TS might be the ticket. Personally, I'm not a mid-boost / tube screamer fan.

• Members

maybe the problem is that htis is not that great of an amp head and I should save up and buy something better. Its just that some of the You Tube vids make it sound really good both dirty and clean and of course some make it sound like crap. So many factors seem to go into it. Its just frustrating. Any sugestions for a better head one for a small room?

• Members

maybe the problem is that htis is not that great of an amp head and I should save up and buy something better. Its just that some of the You Tube vids make it sound really good both dirty and clean and of course some make it sound like crap. So many factors seem to go into it. Its just frustrating. Any sugestions for a better head one for a small room?

A lot of people like the HT5, so it might just come down to preference. Still, you like the HT5 through headphones, so maybe it's worth keeping for that use.

It seems like your Egnater Tweaker or Vox Night Train should work. Does either one have a master volume? If not, maybe you could use an attenuator. They do tend to suck some tone but some are better than others. I sometimes use a Dr Z Airbrake attenuator because it's relatively transparent but it is a bit spendy.

• Members

A lot of people like the HT5, so it might just come down to preference. Still, you like the HT5 through headphones, so maybe it's worth keeping for that use.

It seems like your Egnater Tweaker or Vox Night Train should work. Does either one have a master volume? If not, maybe you could use an attenuator. They do tend to suck some tone but some are better than others. I sometimes use a Dr Z Airbrake attenuator because it's relatively transparent but it is a bit spendy.

I have the Z brake works great. I also have the egnater tweaker I like too. I am probable being too picky and maybe its the acoustics of the room. I also don't crank my amps volume wise because my ears are kind of screwed. I know if you don't push the speakers to a certain point you wont get that sweet spot. Maybe I need a lower wattage speaker. who knows I am going to do some testing tommorow maybe I will figure it out . Thanks for all your help!

• Members

I will say that perhaps the sound you crave is just a brighter one than the amp likes to put out. That's how y old Mesa Heartbreaker was... just too dark no matter what. Tele, bridge pickup, treble dimed... almost bright enough.

This is especially likely considering your speakers/headphone thing. Every time I've played thru an amp's headphone out, it's been brighter than the speaker. That and V30s are a pretty bright speaker.

So, I think you may just have the wrong amp... or it's broken.

Archived